Which roads to travel? San Jose to Arenal to MA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for some input on which roads to travel and the approximate distance/time of travel. We're flying into San Jose & renting a vehicle. We're going to the Arenal area first and then to MA and back to San Jose. Going from San Jose to Arenal, we were going to take the Pan American Highway to route 141 North up to La Fortuna and then route 142 North/West towards Lake Arenal. Is this the best (safest, fastest, good view) route? Will this take about 3 hours?

From the Lake Arenal area I'm undecided if we should go to Monteverde on the way to MA. I really want to go on the Sky Trek ziplines and didn't realize that they weren't in the Lake Arenal area. Not sure of which roads to take if we do go this way. Any input on the roads to take and the travel time would be appreciated!

If we don't take the detour to Sky Trek we were planning on taking Route 142 south through Fortuna, San Isidro, La Tigra, and San Ramon until we meet up with the Pan American Highway again. Not sure if it will be best to continue south on a small road to route 3 west/south to route 34 south to Quepos/MA. Going directly from Lake Arenal to Quepos maybe 4-5 hours (without detouring to Monteverde of course).

From Quepos/MA to San Jose, we were going to take 34 north to route 3 east to the Pan American Highway (approximately 3 hours).

Any inut on driving directions and times will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
2CR

Are you travelling to CR in the dry season or rainy season as that makes a difference in the road conditions. We just got back yesterday and we drove from La Fortuna to Monteverde and the trip wasn't bad at all. It took us about 2-2.5 hours to get there and the roads were bumpy but not horrible. I can't really tell you what roads to take as signs are not posted along the roads. Get a good map, we bought the National Geographic map from Barnes and Noble, and just follow the roads from city to city. It is a pretty drive around the lake.

We did Sky Trek in Monteverde/Santa Elena and it was a blast. I highly recommend it.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Have you considered the Sky Tram / Sky Trek zipline near Arenal south west of the Nat Park? It is pictured by location and a link on www.arenal.net (click- map. It is a good alternate though not as many segments as the zip in Monteverde.

San Ramon to La Tigra onto La Fortuna is the way I prefer. it is very scenic and avoids some of the towns and cities which slow you down. The way through Zarcero is ok if you want to see the topiary park and church. Not sure which Hwy is 141 you mention as my map doesn't provide enough Hwy #s often to see if it starts off CA1.

You seem to have your way figured out. The small roads can be fine for a ways. Some times very winding through villages but can be in good shape then again they may not.

Have a wonderful journey and zippidy do da!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! We'll be traveling the end of February & hopefully will avoid rain. I'm surprised it was only a 2 - 2.5 hour trip to Monterverde! That's promising!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Monteverde won't be a good day trip, or stopoff on the way. It will take up WAY more time than you can even imagine. I'd avoid it unless you have at least a couple of nights to stay there. Too much trouble getting in and out not to spend a little time. . .

As far as driving Arenal to MA, once you pass through San Ramon and find yourself back at the Interamerican, turn east toward San Jose. You'll go just a few miles and see the Atenas exit. I don't know the highway numbers either, but this route will take you through Atenas and Orotina, very mountainous and scenic. A beautiful drive. You'll see it on the map.

Another way is to turn west toward the coast on the Interamerican and go through Puntarenas. We prefer the other way. Of course, you could drive both routes--one going and one returning. The one through the mountains can be very slow with truck traffic and impossible for passing, so I'd not do it on the return if you are short on time for a departure flight!