Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Which One for PDC>>Aventura Palace, Riu Palace, or Royal Hideaway? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/which-one-for-pdc-aventura-palace-riu-palace-or-royal-hideaway-70471/)

Tiffany Apr 30th, 2000 11:48 PM

Which One for PDC>>Aventura Palace, Riu Palace, or Royal Hideaway?

HELP!! Can't decide on Playa del Carmen hotel: Aventura Palace, Riu Palace, or maybe Royal Hideaway. Looking for... <BR>1. As few children as possible <BR>2. Great beach/pool areas <BR>3. Romantic rooms <BR>4. Good food <BR>5. "Tropical Paradise" feel <BR>Also, at an all-inclusive, do you tip? How are the alcoholic beverages (esp. tropical mixed/frozen drinks and beer selection)? When is the best time to go? Thinking about May or December. ALL info on these 3 resorts are welcomed. Thank You!

kurt May 12th, 2000 02:44 PM

Tiffany, we are looking for the exact same things. My fiance and I are thinking about the aventura palace or the RIU palace and can't decide. The aventura palace has no kids policy and looks really nice in the brochures and websites. The pools look very nice and the in-room inclusive minibar is nice, as well as the double jacuzzi in-room. I would love any information that you have or may recieve on either of these resorts and I can give you some websites if you want.

lori May 29th, 2000 06:14 PM

<BR>my fiance and I are also looking for all these things and i've spent countless hours searching the net for info. we were set on the aventura palace when i found some discouraging info. apparently due to erosion they had to basically create a beach in front of the hotel and it's nothing more than a man-made lagoon with avery small beach. so we are still searching, but are leaning towards the royal hideaway, haven't heard a bad thing about it!

Niki Jul 3rd, 2000 12:01 PM

We are thinking of honeymooning in Playa del Carment as well - leaning towards the Royal Hideaway. We were quoted $400 per night (for the 2 of us) - does anyone know if that is pretty accurate? It's our honeymoon so we want a nice and romantic place with great beaches.

LIZ Jul 3rd, 2000 07:33 PM

Hi, we're going to the Royal Hideaway in November...Your price of $400 is about right, unless you get some fantastic deal that some people seem to find!!...I'm still more comfortable booking with a travel agent than online myself!...If you check the prices on ALLEGRORESORTS.COM, LIBERTYTRAVEL.COM or APPLEVACATIONS.COM, the prices are all about the same... <BR> <BR>Have a good time which ever you choose... <BR> <BR>LIZ

Jane Jul 5th, 2000 07:25 PM

Hi all .. we're going to Royal Hideaway on Sept 16 for a week and have searched widely for all sorts of info on the resort. We haven't found ONE negative item about it, so we're really looking forward to it. <BR> <BR>Through our searches, one thing that seems evident to me is the prices the American clients are paying .. I think they're high! We're paying $3500 CDN (flight and resort) for the two of us, which is about $215/night. I know the seasons may see altered rates, but that's almost half the rate you're quoting here. I don't know why I'm telling you this &lt;grin&gt; ... if you live in the US and are flying from there, then there's not much you can do. But if you live close to a Cdn border, you might want to check out a Cdn travel agent since your dollar is so strong. In Toronto we used Avion Travel and got the best rate around. Good luck!

LIZ Jul 6th, 2000 07:40 PM

GOOD GRIEF!!...That's almost half what we're paying!!...Is that $215USD?... <BR> <BR>I hope your flight is not powered by elastic bands and your accomodations are not on the beach (and I do mean ON!)...Just kidding! :-) <BR> <BR>We're just extremely jealous!!!...Have a great time...I can hardly wait until November, but it gives me a chance to lose some weight so I can gain it back eating all that fine cuisine!! <BR> <BR>LIZ

Brian and Daisy Sep 10th, 2000 09:07 AM

We leave on Friday 9/15/00 for a 7 day all inclusive Honeymoon with 3 other couples to the Riu Palace Hotel PDC. Has anyone been there? How was it? Would love a reply ASAP. <BR>Thanks

James Sep 10th, 2000 11:42 PM

If you want to use a Canadian tour company, it might be worth your while to head north if at all possible. I f not you can possibly just use a land portion of a Canadian company. I don't know if they allow this, but it might be worth your while to find out. There are 4 tour companies that you might want to try, www.signature.ca,www.sunquest.ca, www.transat.com and Canada 3000 holidays. I don't have a site address for them so they might require a little hunting. These tour companies definately won't send you a brochure, so you have to contact a travel agent in Canada to get the glossy little books. Good luck and keep me updated in regards to the trip. My wife and I are planning on going down there next March or April.

debbie Sep 12th, 2000 10:17 AM

To Brian and Daisy - go to the message board at www.riuhotels.com and you will be treated to hearing only good things about these resorts!

Tammy Sep 20th, 2000 10:53 AM

We originally booked the Royal Hideaway for October of this year for 4 nites. <BR>It was almost 575 a nite! <BR>Then I found out about the Gala Royal which is also AI, and we paid only 200 more for the whole package and we are going for 7 nights! It may not be quite as luxurious and the food may not be quite as good, but mainly I've heard great reviews and they've recently expanded. I think now they have 3 a la carte restaurants and 4 pools. <BR>They also offer 24 hour room service and beach/pool beverage service... <BR>Hope this helps!