Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Which hotel in Ambergris Caye? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/which-hotel-in-ambergris-caye-287027/)

kindra Feb 10th, 2003 02:02 PM

Which hotel in Ambergris Caye?

We are looking at Belizean Shores, Sundiver, Banana Beach Resort, Victoria House, Xanadu, or Paradise Villas! They all seem to have great reviews, but does anyone out there have a suggestion for me? We are going in May for our honeymoon, don't want to spend TOO much (no more than $125 a night?), and definitely want the best beach with good snorkeling. We would like seclusion, but be close enough to go eat in town. Thank you!

LanSluder Feb 11th, 2003 06:08 AM

All of your choices are quality places. Victoria House is probably above your budget, unless they offer a special at the time you're going.<BR><BR>Things to consider: Do you want to be north of the channel and a boat or water taxi ride away from town (SunDiver, Belizean Shores), south of town (Xanadu or Banana Beach) or at the edge of town (Paradise Villas). All are on a beach, but because it's at the edge of town I'd say the beach at Paradise Villas is busier (foot traffic and boat traffic) and maybe not quite as appealing as elsewhere.<BR><BR>You're not going to find good close-in shore snorkeling anywhere on the island.<BR>You need to go out to the reef for that.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

kindra Feb 11th, 2003 10:31 AM

Thank you Lan. As we have never been to Ambergris Caye before, I really have no idea which area of the island is most appealing (north or south). I don't mind water taxi rides into town, or regular taxi for that matter (although I think I remember some of these hotels offering bikes/golf carts). I like that Sundiver has &quot;beach nook&quot; rooms that open directly onto the beach (sounds fabulous, and it's the cheapest room?), and I also really like how Banana and Belizean Shores look on their websites. I'm torn! So, which is better, north or south of town? <BR><BR>Thanks, Kindra

LanSluder Feb 11th, 2003 01:02 PM

Neither north or south of the channel is really &quot;better.&quot; <BR><BR>It's more a matter of whether you want to be somewhat away from things, with less development, but at the price of perhaps having to take a boat into town for lunch or dinner (however there are some restaurants north as well) or to hear music or shop and maybe having to wait a good while for a water taxi, plus in some cases paying US$5 or more per person each way.<BR><BR>If you're in town or south of town you can hop a bike or golf cart or just walk to most restaurants, clubs and shops.<BR><BR>Me, I usually like to stay south, but others would prefer being north.<BR><BR>You said in your original posting that you want seclusion, so that would point you more toward SunDiver.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

kindra Feb 21st, 2003 07:30 AM

thanks for your suggestions, Lan. We have finally narrowed it down to Banana beach or Xanadu. We are leaning more toward Xanadu, but my concern is that it is a more family-oriented facility, and not so much for honeymooners. Could you offer a comparison of these two hotels? Does one have a better beach area than the other? Is one more romantic than the other? Thanks.