Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Which Hot Springs? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/which-hot-springs-910840/)

stormygirl Oct 31st, 2011 11:46 AM

Which Hot Springs?

Hello we are 4 adults who will be in the Fortuna area in Dec and are trying to decide which hot springs to visit after a day of hiking- Tabacon or Eco Termales. We are looking for the least "family" or kid areas, a nice bar and beautiful location. Thoughts?

britomart Oct 31st, 2011 11:57 AM

I loved Ecotermales. There were very few people when we were there. The grounds are lovely, the drinks were great and it had a very low-key atmosphere. I also thought the dinner was excellent. There was only one child when we were there, but she was very well behaved and we actually had a chat in one of the pools. It was one of my favorite parts of our trip and I am sure you won't be disappointed!

RAC Oct 31st, 2011 11:58 AM

Ecotermales all the way. Very adult atmosphere, great chicken dinner available, very relaxing, drinks on the honor system. Makes a perfect combination with a long day of activities.

Just get your reservations ahead of time.

cmazza Oct 31st, 2011 01:01 PM

Have not been to tabacon but loved ecotermales

qwovadis Oct 31st, 2011 01:03 PM

EcoT better food small 4 pools no lava view can get

crowded in season...

Usually go with Tabacon.com pay $149/nt get free hot springs

admission biggest best 16 pools giant lava view...

save a ton that way...

Los perdidos thespringscostarica.com not bad...

Baldi cheapest cupons from $17 through your hotel...

Kind of depends on what you want...

Find best value staying at Tabacon usually.

qwovadis Oct 31st, 2011 01:05 PM

arenal.net good site with pictures for you...

volcanogirl Oct 31st, 2011 02:55 PM

We liked Eco Termales more because they limit entry to 100 people, so it wasn't crowded. Tabacon was crowded with big tour buses pulling up when we went, and it was loud. May not always be that way though. Also really enjoyed the chicken dinner at Eco T - charming little setting, and the food was good. I loved that they did their drinks on the honor system and that it's locally owned. Tabacon is more elaborate though, bigger with a water slide, etc., and it is beautiful. Just depends on what you're looking for.

colibri Nov 1st, 2011 06:51 AM

Another vote for Eco T., loved it, beautiful setting, very relaxing, not crowded at all, good food (chicken is better than the beef).

Arenal has been very quiet since last fall, so no lava views from Tabacon or anywhere else. That could change though.

MichelleY Nov 1st, 2011 09:31 AM

I had the same experience as Volcanogirl. I even had the chicken dinner which was great! We went after ziplining and getting very chilled in the rain, so soaking in the pools was a real treat!! Resonable fees and plenty of parking.

MFNYC Nov 1st, 2011 10:22 AM

I'm just wondering, if we do the 5pm w/ dinner visit to Eco T, are there cabs or other transportation available to return to our hotel (Lost Iguana)?

volcanogirl Nov 1st, 2011 11:50 AM

I think you could probably ask them to call a cab for you, or arrange for your cab to pick you up at a certain time. We've done that at restaurants, at the waterfall, etc. We did ours as part of a tour, so they picked us up.

stormygirl Nov 5th, 2011 01:48 PM

Well we took your advice for Eco T but they are all booked up, the only available is with Los Perdidos Hot Springs, I don't see a lot of mention on them but will report back

brmsimmons Nov 5th, 2011 05:24 PM

We stayed at Lost Iguana and they dropped us off/picked us up with the shuttle for employees. This is not a sure bet but if there is room on the employee shuttle they will usually take you.

MFNYC Nov 6th, 2011 05:30 AM

I guess I better book Eco T now (I'm going in late January). How long is the visit if you do the dinner option?

volcanogirl Nov 6th, 2011 06:00 AM

They have a website with all the options. I think we were there about 4 hours. Doublecheck me, but I think it was 5:00-9:00 p.m.

jhermosa Nov 6th, 2011 12:04 PM

I loved Eco Termales. I wanted a quite and relaxing hot springs and my personal driver recommended Eco Termales. The place was beautiful and peaceful, not a lot of crazy young people. It was just perfect.

Eco Termales INFO: e-mail [email protected] phone - (506) 2479-8787 cell - (506) 8382-2727.

RAC Nov 6th, 2011 04:07 PM

You can leave any time--just be sure to stay long enough for dinner.

5-9 sounds about right.

stormygirl Jun 23rd, 2012 11:30 AM

Our time at Los Perididos was absolutely awesome! It wasn't very crowded so we were able to have a few pools to ourselves. Very lovely and would recommend!

MichelleY Jun 23rd, 2012 04:08 PM

Thanks for reporting back. Please post a full trip report.

Juldie Jun 24th, 2012 10:18 AM

I am a hot springs seeker; 5-6 years ago when in CR we went to Tabacon. I am returning to CR Dec. 21st - 31st and I have been told it is a crazy busy time for all hot springs because the locals who are on vacation frequent them.

This is the place/springs I want to go to from my research, but its not going to work out this trip. Normally it is very quiet, in the jungle and not built up at all. Not sure if this is the kind of setting you would be interested in.
http://www.biothermales.com.