Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Which countries in Central America have good connectivity (for remote working)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2022, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I dont mean for this question to sound too obtuse, but I am looking to visit a central american country this january and was wondering which one would be the best for my parameters. I work remotely, meaning I need to make calls back to the USA (I am using VOIP apps to do the calls so they rely on data or wifi), and as such, I need reliable Wifi and data. Especially good wifi at hotels but data (ie. a sim card for my phone) is also desired to use as backup in case there are wifi issues.
I am only going to be going for 2-3 weeks. These countries are smaller so I am guessing any other them for potential for a length of 2-3 weeks but I would like to know which is most optimal perhaps.
Because I need to work at least 4 days a week, I probably wont be venturing off into super rural areas for multiple days on end and I am less inclined to be spending much time in long connections when transiting. In the past Iv'e enjoyed getting lost for many days without a care in whichever area I should happen upon, but I need to be reasonably and reliably on the grid due to my work. Even on weekends, its ideal to have connectivity so I can still take care of email work here and there.

Which country would you recommend given these criteria? I have already tapped out Mexico so hoping to see something new, and I have never visited any of the other central american countries. I will also say that I love local food, meeting friendly locals, and exotic vibes in general. Im not seeking anything particularly cushy or developed- only needed to the extent that I can call back to the US reliably. I am otherwise a mid-30's low budget backpacker with the conventional characteristics of one (though budget itself isnt really an issue).
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 03:43 PM

I've heard Panama has the best internet in the region but I suspect you will have nothing to worry about in most major cities in central american countries.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 08:01 PM

Eltonj is right. Panama always tops such lists, both for data and WiFi connections. Even there, though, you'll notice differences between urban and rural locales.