Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Which canopy tour? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/which-canopy-tour-448196/)

kbrennan Oct 25th, 2008 01:29 PM

Which canopy tour?

We will be in both the Arenal and Monteverde areas in April and would like to do the "best" canopy tour. Please give us your thoughts and recommendations!

volcanogirl Oct 25th, 2008 05:07 PM

SkyTrek in Arenal and the Original Canopy Tour in Monteverde.

kbrennan Oct 25th, 2008 06:19 PM

volcanogirl,
If you were going to do only one or the other, which would you choose?

volcanogirl Oct 25th, 2008 07:03 PM

We had booked SkyTrek in Arenal, but we got rained out by a huge thunderstorm, so I never got to try it, but it gets great reviews. If you want something more adventurous, I'd do that one. They have some pretty long lines that are high up. We did the Original Canopy Tour in MV, and it was really fun, not scary, but they did throw in 2 repels that we weren't expecting - loved those. And we saw two quetzals from the platform, so that was an added bonus. We zipped through the trees, so didn't get that scary dangling above everything feeling. For SkyTrek, they have a tram so you don't have to make the hike up. Our tour involved a little bit of hiking, so we could make it up to the first platform.

volcanogirl Oct 26th, 2008 09:15 AM

k, if you do the OCT in MV, be sure to look for the picture of Jimmy Carter in their office. They have a picture of him zipping hanging up in their office - lol. One thing I liked about this tour was that it was small, only 4 in our group, so we didn't have to wait a long time for the next zip, and the guides took our cameras from us, so they could take lots of pictures for us, even video.

cmerrell Oct 26th, 2008 07:24 PM

I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice.

Based on VG's experience, it does sound like SkyTrek in Arenal might be a bit more of an adrenaline rush than the Original Canopy Tour. I believe there is also a SkyTrek tour in MV. Maybe it's more like it's counterpart in Arenal. SkyTrek in Arenal is definitely a lot of fun with very high, long lines and sweeping views of the volcano and lake.

kbrennan Oct 27th, 2008 09:51 AM

Yes - there is a Sky Trek in Monteverde also.
Thanks for the information - I think we will go for biggest adreneline rush, but we want some great views also!

volcanogirl Oct 27th, 2008 11:22 AM

k, I think SkyTrek in Arenal would be just what you're looking for. Be sure to report back. I wish we had gotten to do it!

RAC Oct 27th, 2008 11:52 AM

Another one that gets very high marks in Monteverde is Selvatura.

kbrennan Oct 27th, 2008 02:21 PM

Which Hanging Bridges Tour would you recommend? Arenal or Monteverde?

And is there a "best" time of day to do canopy tours or hanging bridges tours?

volcanogirl Oct 27th, 2008 03:55 PM

I'd do Hanging Bridges in Arenal because they have a volcano view, if you're lucky enough to see it and avoid the fog. It's a very pretty hike. We always try to do our tours in the morning before things get too hot and before the rain sets in. The sun comes up at 5:30, so we always end up getting up pretty early. You might check with your canopy tour to see what times are offered; ours was only offered at certain times of day.