Notices

Which cabin at BdC did you like the best and why?

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which cabin at BdC did you like the best and why?

We are 2 adults and one 13 year old. I have secured my reservation at BdC but would like to request a cabin if I can.

As we have my nephew I thought maybe he would like the loft area but my husband thinks he should be on the same floor as we because it is dark and he doesn't want him falling out of the loft. (huh?)

I want the king bed. Anybody have favorites and why?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Your husband will be glad to know that he can't fall out of the loft - at least in the cabins I saw. The loft is almost like a second story; the little hall has stairs leading up to it and then you reach the second story - it has a full tile floor and a fairly high railing that runs across the front of it and walls/thatch on 3 sides. Ours had a little gooseneck lamp up there so there would be light - also the thatched roof is open at the top so light can come in. I was worried bats would get in, but that was just my own paranoia. We didn't use our loft, but it seemed pretty warm up there because it didn't catch the ocean breeze like the downstairs area.

Honestly, I think any of the cabins with an ocean view are good - a garden cabin would not interest me just because you have to walk through the jungle at night to get to the dining area, and I enjoy having an ocean view and the breeze it provides.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM
fae

We have been to BdC twice now. The first time we stayed in LaPolma (sp)- it is a deluxe cabin with a king down and the two twins up in the open loft. Our son was 13 at the time he slept in the loft. Our kids had no problems in the loft. We were in LaPolma for 2 nights and then got the house, Casa Blanca for 3 nights.

The next time we booked early (and will always book early) to have the house, Casa Blanca. To me it is one of the most awesome places ever to stay! Around 2000 sqft. 2 bedroom/ 2 bath perched on the side of the cliff overlooking the gulf. SOOOO beautiful - the whole back of the house is a covered and open porch with hammocks, chairs, and tables.

Last summer's stay at Casa Blanca we took lunch and dinner meals with BdC. You would eat so much at those two meals that we were not that hungry for a big breakfast. We stopped at store in Pt. Jimenzez and picked up orange juice, milk, and fruit. I had put coffee, granola/breakfast bars, and bag of cereal in my suitcase. Worked out great for us. Will do the same again when we return next summer but off to Canadian Rockies in a week for vacation this year!

Lunch is our favorite at BdC. We would always have been out hiking or kids surfing in the morning and seems like we were really hungry and ready to eat. Everything is SO fresh - they don't do alot of frying which is fine with me. My son got were he always ordered a fresh sliced avocado with lunch each day and I loved their fresh pico del gallo. One day someone had been fishing and brought back fresh tuna that they served with pico on top - YUM!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:33 AM

My 10 year old and I stayed in Gecko (deluxe cabina) which was nice, with an ocean view, king size bed and sofa bed and large outdoor sitting area with built in couches and chair. However, with a 13 year old I recommend getting the loft because as volcanogirl says, no chance of falling out! In my opinion once the couch is folded out it's a little in the way (my daughter and I just shared the king).

For our next trip we are staying in Pizote (standard cabina) with 2 double beds, a little smaller outdoor area, but still has ocean view (next to Gecko cabina) and has shade trees to help keep it cooler at night.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

volcanogirl: You are confirming what I was wondering about the loft being warm. We can get a cabin with a king and a couch downstairs that folds out into bed. If it is warm upstairs that may be a better option. Will BdC accommodate a cabin request?

fae: Thank you for the info on LaPolma and your son was the same age as my nephew. A house, that would be nice but not this trip. Thank you again for responding.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM

BDC will try to accomodate a cabin request, although I think they hold a couple of them like Mariposa, in case of honeymooners or special events. They certainly weren't going to commit it to a single mom and daughter, and I requested it 8 months in advance last time.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

hipvirgochick: BdC has been very good at answering emails and questions. In all my correspondence with them they have not indicated which cabin although I told them I did not want to walk across that bridge in the middle of the night going to and from my cabin. So I am hoping that means we get an ocean side cabin. The issue was also with my nephew sleeping in a loft if it is hot. With the humidity and being a teenager on his first trip abroad, I want it to be comfortable for him.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Yes, the heat could be an issue. The foldout bed configuration may be different in some of the rooms too. I just noticed that if ours was out, it would leave somewhat of a pathway to the bathroom and shower, but it's certainly not "out of the way". Only a minor detail though, I mean, how much time will you really spend in your room? For us it was practically none!

The garden cabinas where you walk through the forest cost less and unless you specifically requested those, don't worry, you won't be "assigned" them. All of the deluxe and standard cabinas have ocean views (just some better situated than others).

You will have a great time! When are you going?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Hi, sylvia - I should mention that the loft has a plug-in fan that you can run, so that may help to cool things off. There is also one downstairs. We snagged our upstairs one and used it, so we had two downstairs. They are loud! We slept with all our louvered windows open so we would have some air circulation. One of the ladies we met there had an alarm clock with a temp gauge on it, and she said it was 82 degrees at night in the downstairs if that gives you an idea of temps.

I think Mariposa and Congo are the most requested cabins. Mariposa is on the end, so it seems a little more private, and Congo has a really nice view of an arched rock and another big rock off in the distance, rather than just straight ocean like some of the others.

We saw a cabin called La Paz in the garden area, and it didn't look like it had walls - would have to be braver than I am to stay in that one.

I asked BdC which deluxe cabins were available for our stay, and they told me descriptions of them. I even asked them to send me pictures, and they did, so you might try that. They don't have pictures of all of them, but they do of some, and it may give you a better idea of what would be best for you.

Poor Leonardo, I would ask, "Which has the best view?" And he would respond, "They are all nice!"
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

hipvirgochick: We arrive at BdC April 7 for 4 nights. Spending 4 nights at Lost Iguana at the beginning of the trip from April 3.

This is our first trip to CR. Our son has been a few times but he is a sleep on the beach and surf all day kind of guy for about $10 a day. I need a bed and a few "cocktails" in the evening.

Never tried zip lining so I will be the one screaming and scaring all the wildlife, that is if I can even get into the harness as I am not the young flexibile thing I once was.

volcanogirl: I guess I could ask for pictures of the cabins but that is part of the allure of any trip, not really knowing what you get - and elated when it is over your expectations.

My next big thing is trying to figure out the cost of the things we want to do. In BdC we want to do the dolphin swim/watch thing and the animal sanctuary. Hike at night and during the day with a guide. My husband may want to go deep sea fishing with my nephew; the nephew is the fisherman not my husband.

In Arenal we want to do the Cana Negro tour, the Skytrek/Sky tram and maybe ride ATV to the volcano. That all depends on if my 13 year old nephew will be able to drive his own ATV.

Is there anywhere you can get closer to the volcano rather than observing from below?

As always, fodorites are the best at giving good information and I thank you.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:18 AM

sylviam - We will just miss you! We're leaving on April 5th. If you click on my name I have some pics posted on my recent trip report (link is near the bottom) of the outside of our cabina (but they all are either stucco or thatched siding so that really won't show you the inside. There are also some pics of wildlife, grounds of BDC and wildlife sanctuary. Oh, I remember on Tripadvisor I went to CR forum and typed in Gecko (our cabina) and there's a trip report with a picture of the inside. Going on the primary forest walk with Phillip on your first day might be good to get you started with all the knowledge at the beginning of your stay.

In Arenal you can go up to Arenal Observatory Lodge lookout to get a better/different view on the volcano.

Have fun!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

hipvirgochick: YOur pics are great. My husband is fooling with his macro lense after looking at them. Too bad we will just miss eachother.

Going on the walk the first day is a good idea, did you do the night walk on the same day?
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 05:21 AM

I think the new Toucan now has a loft too (not positive though), plus a tub - it was partly modeled on Mariposa. My 2 fave's are Congo & Lapa but those don't have lofts, the 2 that I do know have lofts, Gecko & La Palma always get great reviews.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Yes, Toucan has a loft, and I believe so does Manglillo - we met a family of 4 that was staying there, and they really liked it. Of course, everyone we met liked their cabins, which really speaks to BdC and how well they run things.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Hey tully -- Gecko doesn't have a loft, it has a king. That's the one we just stayed in
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:05 AM

My boo hvc! - my brain always wants to make La Palma & Gecko the same.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

tully: thanks for the names of the cabins. Sounds like no one had problems with "heat" in the loft area.