Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Which beach on Costa Rica's Pasific side has the calmest water? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/which-beach-on-costa-ricas-pasific-side-has-the-calmest-water-869607/)

Irina11 Dec 13th, 2010 06:06 PM

Which beach on Costa Rica's Pasific side has the calmest water?

We are looking for a place to stay at the end of our Costa Rica trip in the end of April. We are not surfers but we love swimming and snorkeling so we are looking for a beach with calm clear water.
I read in the book that Playa Hermosa and Playa Flamingo have calm water. is it correct? Which one is nicer? We prefer not too much developed , more secluded beach and small luxury hotel/lodge/resort with private bungalows/villas.

Appreciate any recommendations.

qwovadis Dec 14th, 2010 02:04 AM

www.playamontezuma.net

www.ylangylangresrt.com

very nice for swimming with calm waters

sort of protected from the pacific in an inlet...

www.zumatours.net good area tours

qwovadis Dec 14th, 2010 02:05 AM

www.lafinisterra.com Hermosa best of your 2

beach browner water not as nice as Montezuma

Irina11 Dec 14th, 2010 11:05 AM

qwovadis , many thanks. We will definitely look into Montezuma. The links you have sent are very helpfull.
I see they offer snorkeling and diving tours to Tortuga island. Is it nice snorkeling/diving?

Playa Montezuma is closer to San Jose and Playa Hermosa ( at least the one we were looking at)
to Liberia, so if we stay at Montezuma we can take round trip from NY.

I've got confused looking at the map. It looks like there are 2 Playa Hermosa beaches: one in the North Pasific next to Playa Coco that I was reffering to and one in the Central Pasific next to jaco that is supposedly surfers paradise as I understand.

hipvirgochick Dec 14th, 2010 11:57 AM

Maybe it was the time of year, but I did not find the ocean that calm in Montezuma when I was there, even at Playa Grande.

Punta Uva seems to fit your needs (less developed, calm water, bungalows) or the areas near there if you're willing to trip over to the Caribbean side.

joeschmo Dec 14th, 2010 03:21 PM

Irina..I am confused by the responses you have to your original question. I believe you are looking for suggestions in the NW Pacific/Guancaste area. The towns of Playa Flamingo, Playa Hermosa and Playa Coco are located in NW Guanacaste. Playa Montezuma is way south...very far from San Jose and VERY far from Liberia airport. Although I really like the Montezuma/Malpais area you have to consider your traveling time.

hsmithcr Dec 14th, 2010 04:12 PM

For distances and travel times, check here: www.yourtravelmap.com

As for calm water at various beaches - some are notorious for bigger waves and surfers love them. Playa Negra and Playa Avellenas are two. Playa Hermosa near Liberia and Playa Brasilito, Playa Conchal and Playa Flamingo all will usually have calm waters.

A lot of whether the water will be calm or not depends on the weather and winds. If there is an offshore squall with winds, you can expect bigger waves. It changes all the time.

Irina11 Dec 14th, 2010 06:46 PM

Thanks for all responses.
joeschmo, yes we were looking for the beaches in North Pasific but only because we read they are nicer. If beaches in Central Pasific better suites us we can go there...
We will be coming from Monteverde.

What area is nicer, more beatiful in general? has better snorkeling and diving - Montezuma or Playa Hermosa?

joeschmo Dec 15th, 2010 07:12 AM

The beaches down south (Montezuma, Malpais, etc.) are absolutely gorgeous. If you like long walks on the beach this is the place. You should be able to find some spots for snorkeling and also this is a big surfing destination. The Guanacaste region is very easy to get to because of the nearby Liberia airport but getting to those southern beaches can be a very long drive. If you choose to fly there is an airport in Tambor. Check out http://www.montezumabeach.com which should give you an idea of all the many beautiful beaches.