Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Which all inclusive, Riu or Iberostar in Maya Riviera?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 03:38 PM
Jill

My husband and I are interested in a get away week - we love a great pool, but also are concerned with the quality of food at all-inclusives. A friend recommended Iberostar Paraiso del Mar? Riu Palace looked great in the Apple brochure as well. I would love input from those of you who have stayed at these sites. Also, we are considering golfing, any knowledge of courses would be appreciated. If anyone can compare Iberostar Paraiso with Iberostar Tucan, that would be a big help also. Thanks!

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:46 PM
Parrot Mom

Go to....http://mytravelboard2.com/playa for talk about resorts in the Yucatan... The IB Paraiso sounds wonderful and we are going the end of October. By coincidence ran into a travel agent who just came back and said it was incredible..some of the best food he's had..the resort is huge.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 11:12 AM
kathy

We have stayed at both the IB* Tucan and Riu Palace. While the Riu is fancier we thought that the food was much better at the IB*. We also didn't care for the assigned table- dinner time at the Riu. There is a golf course located in the playacar development. It is exspensive but they have reduced rates of around $80. if you play late in the day...sunset rate??

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:06 PM
Jill

Thanks for the info about the assigned dinner time - I would hate that. I'm definitely more interested in good food than fancy accomodations. I don't plan to be in the room all that much. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do, excursions that shouldn't be missed, etc.? Also would love more opinions about the Ib Paradaiso del mar.thanks!

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 02:02 PM
kathy

there are some very good reviews on the IB* pariaso at www.cancunandrivieramaya.com
there are several current reports and also some in the trip report section.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:54 AM
bonnie

I stayed at the Paraiso del mar in March of this year and it was great. The resort is huge, so be prepared to walk a lot. Ask if you can have a room in building 12,13 or 14, as they are closest to the pool and the snack bar. The restaurants are close to the lobby, so if you want to be close to them ask for buildings thereby. The food wasn't spectacular. It was varied and plentiful. The pool is unbelieveable. HUGE. The lobby is beautiful. Have fun!

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Peggy

We stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan last October. Faboulous. There was not anything I could say negative about the place except watch out for the monkeys. If you stare up into the trees they will do their buisness on you. We are going to Cancun in three wseeks to try a totally different experience. Hope we aren't disappointed after the Iberostar.

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Debbie

Hi Jill, we've stayed twice (for 2 weeks each) at the RIU Yucatan (which is next to the Palace and found the food very good and varied. Feel free to email me direct and I'll send out a trip report of the things to see and do in the area.
Stay away from the my travelboard.com message board as you will just find yourself lost in a sea of whiners and complainers - and I mean complainers..everything from how someone didn't like the shape of the towel animal on their bed to how the sun is too hot and they were sweating after 5 minutes! There are some positive postings but it's a nightmare weeding through all the negative ones just to read something good.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Monica

Hi Jill: Riu Palace is fantastic. I would disregard the comment about assigned seating. We were there in March and although they asked if we wanted the same table all week at Don Julian restaurant, this was NOT required and although they ask you a preferred seating time(at time of check-in), we found this to be flexible as well. Twice, we came back late from shopping in Playa and there was no problem to accommodate us, and bear in mind, there IS more than one restaurant to choose from! My fried is a picky eater - I'm not but recognize and am used to good food. We found the food to be outstanding! I will be fair and say that I've heard nothing but good comments on the Iberostar chain. Either way, you'll end up o.k. Enjoy!
Monica

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:56 AM
kim

Stay away from the RIUs if you care about swimming in the pool--at all three, the pools are FREEZING! You will definitely enjoy the Iberostar, though. Have fun!