Whether or not to reserve hotel in Manuel Antonio

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whether or not to reserve hotel in Manuel Antonio

We are spending 2 weeks with a UK travel group in Costa Rica in November and early December.

After the tour, we plan to spend a week in Manuel Antonio independently during the first week of December. I would like to know if it is really necessary to reserve hotel accommodation in advance.

We have visited many parts of the world and not always reserved hotels. I'm aware that MA can be busy during this period. However, I've also heard that fewer tourists are visiting Costa Rica nowadays because of the economic problems facing the US and UK in particular.

I would very much appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 04:01 AM

Costa Rica is enjoying a great tourism season this year as indicated on this link. http://insidecostarica.com/dailynews...y/15/nac03.htm

However, having said this the first two weeks of December are generally quiet in Manuel Antonio so you should be fine without a reservation. However, be aware that your "first choice" hotel may be full so leave your options very open to more than one choice. The weather in early December is pleasant as we are just coming out of the rainy season. Everything is beautiful and green. Enjoy your trip! Lisa in Manuel Antonio
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:33 AM

I agree with Lisa. You will probably be okay, but you should be flexible. The best places will be full at that time. If you have your heart set on a particular hotel, then you should make advance reservations. But something should be available for the time period you are looking at.

Regarding the statement that not as many people are traveling there due to the slow economy, I have to disagree. The last few months have been extremely busy for us, and better than the same time period last year.

The dollar is still strong in Central and South America. It is getting clobbered in Europe. Costa Rica is on a lot of folks "life list". Since Europe is so expensive, they are opting to visit Costa Rica this year. I have heard this from several customers. My wife and I are not taking our usual fall trip to Europe, and are looking into Buenos Aires or Key West instead. This is for the same reason.

Now this could change if the economy worsens. But for now, we are enjoying the ride.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Is there any reason why you wouldn't make a reservation if you already know you want to spend a week there? I find when I make reservations I save time and have a better experience because I don't waste time looking for a place to stay and also get to do research ahead of time to determine the best place for my family.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:26 AM

I always book early because I like to get my first choice of hotels, and I don't really like to take the chance that something not be available.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
RAC

I'm with Volcanogirl--if you have a clear favorite or favorites, book 'em.