Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Where to stay in PV (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/where-to-stay-in-pv-634502/)

Bim11897 Jul 27th, 2006 12:05 PM

Where to stay in PV

I think I've decided to go to PV. I don't know anyone who's been there. Need suggestion on where to stay... Cost is not really that much of an issue, although I don't want to spend everything on the hotel. No all-inclusives. Love something on the beach with a infinity pool. Any suggestions?

Little_Man Jul 27th, 2006 12:53 PM

well, the Marriott looks like a good bet to me if you'd like a resort. Gets good reviews on tripadvisor. Also the Premiere Hotel gets very good reviews...
Good luck!

suze Jul 27th, 2006 03:48 PM

I'm not sure who has an infinity pool but Villa Premiere and the Casa Magna Marriott are both resorts that get consistently great reviews.

I go to PV quite often but stay low-budget.

I think the most important thing in researching Puerto Vallarta is what part of town you want to stay in. There's the new-ish developments (Cancun style) called Nuevo Vallarta, then The Marina, Hotel Zone, El Centro, and Old Town then beaches to the south.

You can download really good maps at www.vallartainfo.com

Leonora Aug 4th, 2006 08:00 AM

Again Bin, if you want an infiniy style pool, you better look to the east (mayan riviera) All the resorts there seem to have those pools these days. We stayed at the Marriot in PV which short maybe of Dreams (which is kind of out of the way as will be Nuevo Vallarta) is purported to have the best pool, and while it was very big and had a swim up bar, I don't think it's considered infinity. Go to a travel agent and ask for an Apple Vacations Mexico book and take a look at some of those resorts with beach and pool pix, but beware, that some of those photos can be misleading.

suze Aug 4th, 2006 08:24 AM

Dreams isn't in Nuevo Vallarta (which is north of PV) it is on it's own beach about 5 mins. south of town.

blondlady Aug 4th, 2006 02:39 PM

So what's up with the infinity pool?

For a great location where you have a nice big pool, where you walk out to the beach and ocean try Playa Los Arcos. What's great about this place is that it is in the heart of Zona romantica, or Old town. You can walk to fabulous restaurants, art galleries, shops, Cardenas Park, River Cuale Flea market, the Malecon (over the fairly new Malecon extension bridge) and so on. You can easily take a cheap ride to Mismaloya beach and also get to other adventures easily. This is only if you like to be in the middle of things. The more northern hotel strip has nice beaches and the hotels may be fancier. Like Suze says, it depends on where you want to be.

suze Aug 6th, 2006 07:39 AM

Infinity pools generally come with new and upscale resorts. The beauty of PV is in it's "Mexican-ness". How about someplace like the Krystal? It's got a bunch of pools.