Where to stay in Placencia, Belize?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling (solo) to Placencia in a couple of months and I'm debating where to stay. Looking at Maya Beach but just wondering if I will regret being so far the village. Thoughts? If you recommend staying closer, why?

Thank you!
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 04:37 PM

I respectfully suggest that you zap my name and read my trip report for a visit I made to the Palencia area almost two years ago. In my mind, there is only one place to stay, the resort I mention, but I'm sure that there are other good resorts as well. It's your choice. ZZ
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 04:59 PM

Part II: I see that I did not address your specific questions. The Maya Beach Hotel and Bistro sits by itself a few miles from Palencia and, given the condition of the roads, the poor lighting of the route, and the pedestrian and vehicular traffic, I recommend that anyone not eat in town at night. The Maya Beach Hotel is a festive place in the evening. Guests and management are friendly. Some of the other major resorts are also strung out along the road some distance from "downtown" Palencia, with the same disadvantage, if you want to call it such, as the Maya Beach Hotel. You definitely need auto transportation for Palencia. I checked out auto rental locally and it was so expensive that renting in San Jose was the only feasible action. ZZ
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 06:22 PM

We weren't tempted to stay anywhere but in the village. We wanted to be able to shop at local produce stands and stores and docks, prepare a lot of our own meals, and have easy access on foot to restaurants, coffee shops, tours, etc. We rented a little apartment with a full kitchen at One World and loved it. It's not on the beach but has a nice sandy lot, well-located, with easy access to everything in town. Just my 2 cents' worth.
http://oneworldplacencia.com/
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 04:33 AM

I have to take expectation with Zambezi posting. Placencia is a 16 mile long peninsula with 3 villages. Maya Beach is one, about 8 miles from Placencia point, where Placencia village is. Yes, the village has traffic, but not the road, which is in very good condition. Renting a car in San Jose? Neverheardofit.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 06:44 AM

I stayed at Placencia village and glad I did. I stayed at a lower budget hotel right on the beach, and it was an easy walk along the Sidewalk to a number of restaurants. Although not a requirement for me, shops, grocery stores, bars & a bank were very close (easy walk). Many travellers prefer resorts -- not me.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 07:22 AM

An embarrassing correction: I flew into and rented a vehicle in Belize City, NOT, San Jose!!

I like the comments of my fellow Fodorites. ZZ
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 05:30 PM

Definitely stay at the Maya Beach hotel. Great hotel with an amazing, reasonably priced food and wonderful staff. We had a car and it's handy if you want to explore the area. If your concerned that you'll be isolated, there are taxis and the hotel has bikes. The Green Parrot hotel was walking distance and had a nice restaurant though not as good as the Bistro. There was another bar/restaurant that was also walking distance but can't remember the name. The nicer Placencia hotels were on the outskirts of town and I'm not sure if they were walking distance to town.

If your plane lands in Belize City in the late afternoon, don't even think about driving to Maya Beach/Placencia. The roads are in bad shape with no lights so it's a scary experience (beautiful during the day though). Once you get tap Placencia, the roads are fine.
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 07:23 PM

We stayed right in Placencia and were glad we did. We stayed at a very inexpensive hotel with mini kitchenette and restaurant on site. We wanted a place where we could swim every morning. We could walk into town and back at night without any worries. We rented bikes a few times and explored the area. I would return in a heartbeat. If the gelato place is still open downtown Placencia it is amazing!!!