Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Where to stay in Mexico City (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/where-to-stay-in-mexico-city-761665/)

MikeT Jan 15th, 2009 01:58 PM

Where to stay in Mexico City

I'm heading to Mexico City for a very long weekend. It will be my first visit, but have been to Mexico often. Want to do the usual tourist things, do some shopping, have a fairly-laid back time. I've done quite a bit of international travel. I'm a gay man traveling alone.

I'm using Starwood points, so trying to decide whether to stay near the Zocalo (Sheraton Centro Historico), the Zona Rosa (the Maria Isabel) or Condesa (W Mexico City). It's not really about the hotel as much as the best location. I could even split my time.

fishskis Jan 18th, 2009 12:01 AM

Stay at the W. It is actually located in Polanco, not Condesa. Much better hotel and location than the other two. Polanco is (relatively) safe, it is an upscale neighborhood. Condesa is not too far, and it is a great area to explore.

If you are going alone, please talk to locals and hotel employees about safety precautions (where to go, where to avoid). Never walk at night. Rarely walk alone during the day, even in the better areas. Take only radio cabs or hotel cars; do not take taxis from the street. I am not an overly cautious or careful person, but this is my advice as an American who has traveled there frequently.

marylinn Jan 18th, 2009 08:10 AM

I also would choose the W as a much better location. The museums in Chapultepac Park are within walking distance, and there are MANY more restaurants for evening dining.

The Maria Isabella Sheraton is nice but dated. Some rooms are beautiful, but some are less than desirable, and unless they have done something with the rooftop pool recently, you would not enjoy using it. Do go to the Jorongo Bar in the lobby if you enjoy Mexican music.

I wouldn't like the location of the Sheraton Centro Historico for evening dining options (not familiar with the hotel itself).

I would disagree somewhat with the PP about street safety. Yes, you have to be careful, but I think it is OK to walk alone during the day in any of the touristed areas--zocalo, Chapultepac Park, centro historico, etc.

Also, cabs from the Sitio stands around the city are perfectly safe and very convenient. One of my favorite things on a Saturday is the Bazaar Sabado, a wonderful street fair combined with permanent shops built around a courtyard with a restaurant in the middle. I can't think of anything nicer than strolling here, and instead of having to set up a rendezvous with the hotel cab that brings you, you can get a sitio cab on the edge of the market for your trip back to the W (or whichever property you ultimately choose).

MikeT Jan 21st, 2009 08:41 AM

Thanks. This is very very helpful.

tengohambre Jan 21st, 2009 05:42 PM

Stick with Sitio cabs, and have the restaurant, hotel call you one and you will be fine. DF is a great city.

If you do stay at the Shearaton Historico, make sure you eat in the restaurant there, terrific. Also, head over to Cafe Tacuba for lunch one day. Full of tourists and locals and a lot of fun. Have a great time.