Where to stay in Casco Viejo, Panama City

Old Aug 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Casco Viejo, Panama City

We will be in Panama City only one day (2 nights) before leaving for Contadora Island. We'd like to stay in Casco Viejo area. If you've stayed in this area, where did you stay and what was your impression of the accommodations and the area? We're a couple in our 50s and want clean/convenient place, not luxury, but a comfortable bed. Around $100 or less per night would be preferable. Thanks for any/information.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Most of the lodgings in Casco Viejo are pretty backpacker-y. Two very nice ones that I know about are:

The Canal House

www.canalhousepanama.com

and Las Clementinas

www.lasclementinas.com

Same owners for both places. Rooms will run $200-350 though. I don't know of anything in between in that part of the city.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your information. That's what I was finding in my research, but I thought perhaps I was missing someting - thanks for confirming.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM

The two recommendations to stay in Casco Antiguo are above the price range you suggested: Las Clementinas and Canal House. Both places are very good.
Maybe you can consider stay at the old Canal Zone area:
Two places I could recommend are,
The Balboa Inn
http://www.thebalboainn.com/
La Estancia
http://www.bedandbreakfastpanama.com/ancon.htm

They are not in Casco Antiguo but a short cab ride from the Heritage site. (Make sure you take a cab and not try to walk there from the Canal zone) There is an area between both places, Chorrillo that I dont recommend any tourist to walk by. You will be fine in a taxi and since is not that far it wont be expensive.

Enjoy Panama
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:45 PM

A great website is www.CascoViejo.org and you get a full list of hotels and hostels in this area (the featured ones have a description too). You can also check out Casa Sucre, their prices are below Canal House and Las Clementinas...
Casco is beautiful and full with history and character. it is not always clean on the streets though.... But totally ok and worth staying there!

On that website is also a great event calendar - check it out a few days before you come to see what is going on.

Enjoy your trip