Search

Where to stay at Machu Picchu?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:56 PM
ccc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay at Machu Picchu?

Could somebody please give me advice as to where to stay at Machu Picchu. We're trying to decide whether to stay at the hotel at the ruins or the Pueblo Hotel in Aguas Calientes. What are the advantages/disadvantages of staying at the site rather than down the hill? Are the advantages of staying at the site worth the extra cost (about double)?
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:22 PM
DE

I can't comment from first hand experience but we have been told recently from acquaintances of ours that being at the hotel on site is just great.
You are able to view the sunrise without the bulk of tourists who don't begn arriving until later in the morning and also can thoroughly enjoy the fabulous site quietly throughout late afternoon, as by then all the tourists have left to head back down.
I think it would definitely be worth the extra cost and when we do this trip we will opt to stay at the hotel on top.

Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:55 PM

I guess the advantage of staying in Aguas Calientes is that you have access to restaurants and shops just by walking out the door of your hotel.

If I went again, however, I would stay at the ruins. I would want to soak in as much of that magical place as possible.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:39 PM

I would definitely choose the on-site hotel. The experience is spectacular and spiritual.
Aguas Calientes is, in one word, a pit. Cheap trinkets, restaurants that look like they serve Hepatitis A.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:05 PM

We spent millennium New Year's Eve in Aguas Calientes. Perhaps it has changed for the worse in the past 2 years, but it was not without its charm at that time. Some people were dressed in costumes and we all danced in the square to live musicians.
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:01 AM

Hi ccc,

A lot would depend on what time of year you plan on visiting machu picchu. June to November is the tourist season (and the best time for good weather). The Hotel Machu Picchu Ruinas (next to the ruins) is generally booked-up months in advance, and the cost is in the 270$ to 350$ range per night (no rooms have a view of the ruins). December to May you can get a better price.

Hotels in Aguas Calientes range from 170$ (places like the Pueblo) to really nice places 60-80$. Low budget places are in the 25$ range.

If you stay in Aguas Calientes, you can take the 630 am bus to the ruins, well before the tourist train arrives later in the morning. You can stay at the ruins until twilight (the day-tourists leave at 330pm) then take the last bus back to AC, or walk down the zig-zag road (about 1 hour walk). At one time, but I am not sure you can still do this, there was a night-time pass available for visiting a limited area of the ruins. This was available only from the ruins gate-keeper.

A bunch of info is at www.peruperu.com

Have a great trip!
dav
[email protected]
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:21 AM
KNJ

We have just returned from Peru and we stayed at the Machu Picchu Inn. The rooms are a little dorm like, but they were clean and quiet. I was kind of put off by Aguas Calientes at first, you have to walk through a gauntlet of vendors from the train station to the buses but, it kind of grows on you. The town has a kind of old west/gold rush feel. It was great to come down from the ruins and have a beer at Toto's House and enjoy a view of the river. The previous poster is correct after lunch the crowds start to thin out and the 0630 bus gets you up there plenty early. Bring a lot of film.
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:01 AM

KNJ, I agree about the old west/gold rush feel to AC. We sort of enjoyed that frontier feeling.