Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   where to spend our first and only night in san jose (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/where-to-spend-our-first-and-only-night-in-san-jose-826240/)

elainegary Feb 12th, 2010 01:02 PM

where to spend our first and only night in san jose

We arrive in San Jose on Friday March 19th, 4 pm. We are 4 people and the next morning, will be flying from the local airport next door to the main international airport, down to the Osa peninsula.

Would you recommend that we stay "in town" for the one night, at a place like the Gran Hotel, just to see downtown San Jose...It's hard figuring out distances. We have a lovely-sounding place called Case Bella Rita in the santa anna area...described as a b&b 20 minutes from the airport. But the next morning, we will have to get taken back to the airport from which nature air leaves. Can anyone give us a budget recommendation?

volcanogirl Feb 12th, 2010 01:10 PM

Villa Bonita and Orquideas Inn are popular.

We liked Grano de Oro if you want a city hotel. If you aren't watching your budget, Xandari is wonderful. I've read a lot of positive reviews on Casa Bella Rita but haven't had the chance to stay there.

I wouldn't have any desire to see downtown San Jose personally.

qwovadis Feb 12th, 2010 01:43 PM

www.casabellarita.com my fav very nice folks

Gran Hotel Costa Rica best if you want to be downtown

right next to the Natl Theatre very pretty building

good prices on www.expedia.com

hipvirgochick Feb 12th, 2010 02:18 PM

Hotel Villa Bonita is a great budget option, closer to SJO than Nature Air, but I don't know exact distances.

For downtown Don Carlos. Great historical building/architecture and withing walking distance to market, theater, etc.

sylvia3 Feb 13th, 2010 04:17 AM

Be very aware of the possibility of terrible traffic from SJ proper to the airport.

ParkerSunshine Feb 13th, 2010 06:00 AM

we stayed at Gran hotel - the rooms leave much to desire, the outside aesthetics are beautiful though and you are in the heart of everything. however, after staying in such wonderful places during our whole trip it was hard to kind of suck it up here. And YES plan ahead for traffic to the airport.

Trippie Feb 14th, 2010 12:14 PM

If your on a budget the Hampton Inn right across from the airport is nice and clean. You don't have to worry about traffic and such getting to the airport. You can get a taxi for the night out and see what you want and then come back to your room at your leisure and not have to hustle in the morning.

We stayed there on our first visit to CR a few years ago. Now a days I try to get early flights into SJO so I can get same day local flights or transfers and get to my destination the same day.

worldwanderer80 Feb 16th, 2010 12:36 PM

Hotel AranJuez (www.hotelaranjuez.com) is a great budget option if you want to stay in San Jose. It includes a nice breakfast buffet too. But downtown San Jose is a 20/25 minute drive from the International airport. If you want somewhere close to the airport, you could look into accommodation in Alajuela. I've heard great things about the Adventure Inn (http://www.adventure-inn.com). It's 10 mins to both downtown San Jose and the International & domestic airport. It also includes an all you can eat American style buffet breakfast and free shuttle to or from the airport.

ColoNative Feb 17th, 2010 12:35 PM

Check out Pura Vida Hotel just two miles north of SJO. Have individual casitas and amazing breakfast is included. Also, you can have the owner prepare gourmet dinner if you like. Well worth it. www.puravidahotel.com

shillmac Feb 17th, 2010 03:32 PM

Are you flying Sansa next to the international airport or Nature Air out of Pavas? Your original post mentioned "next to the international airport" and then said Nature Air. Nature Air is closer to San Jose, which is about 20-25 minutes from SJO, the international airport.

Most people who fly Sansa stay in that area: Hotel Villa Bonita, Orquideas Inn, etc.

Those who are using Nature Air out of Pavas would do well to stay in Santa Ana or San Jose. We stayed at Grano de Oro before our Nature Air flight, and it was about a 15 min. drive the next a.m. It would have been 25 minutes from the international airport area.

It may be ME who is confused, but could you clarify please? Thanks!

PlayaCoyote Feb 19th, 2010 01:01 PM

Stay at Casa Bella Rita. You won't be sorry. Used to stay downtown or at the airport but Casa Bella Rita is much better. The hosts, Rita & Steve, are great.

volcanogirl Feb 19th, 2010 01:24 PM

How far is Casa Bella Rita from the SJO airport? It does look cute.

hipvirgochick Feb 19th, 2010 10:35 PM

Vgirl - CBR told me they were equi-distance to SJO and Pavas. 20 min in ok traffic.

volcanogirl Feb 20th, 2010 04:17 AM

Thanks, hip. :) Sounds like a good location.