Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to spend 4 nights in between Mexico City and Queretaro?

Jun 17th, 2019, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are beginning a trip in Mexico City and ending it in Queretaro City with 4 free nights in between. We are traveling during the October-November cusp. Currently holding a room in SMA but would love to hear other ideas. Wondering if there are other cities or towns in Queretaro worth a 4 night stay?
Jun 18th, 2019, 03:54 AM

It's a little further on than Queretaro, but Guanajuato comes to mind.
Jun 18th, 2019, 07:45 AM

There really isn't much directly between CDMX and Queretaro. Tequisquiapan and Bernal are close enough to Queretaro that you could do day trips to both if you have enough time in Queretaro. What comes to my mind are Mineral Del Chico, Mineral Del Monte & Huasca De Ocampo. Charming, un-gringo-fied mountain towns. Monte is where soccer was introduced to Mexico by Cornish miners. And if you could work it out logistically, a trip to the hot springs of Tolantongo would be a treat.
Jun 18th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo View Post
It's a little further on than Queretaro, but Guanajuato comes to mind.
I’m thinking the decision will fall between Guanajuato & SMA. I might just let the hotel that speaks to me most be the decider. We’ll only have three days, I think either one will work for us. Maybe think a little harder on if I just want the closer travel option for ease (SMA) too.
Jun 18th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baldone View Post
There really isn't much directly between CDMX and Queretaro. Tequisquiapan and Bernal are close enough to Queretaro that you could do day trips to both if you have enough time in Queretaro. What comes to my mind are Mineral Del Chico, Mineral Del Monte & Huasca De Ocampo. Charming, un-gringo-fied mountain towns. Monte is where soccer was introduced to Mexico by Cornish miners. And if you could work it out logistically, a trip to the hot springs of Tolantongo would be a treat.
Thank you for these suggestions. We are ending our trip in Queretaro because some friends are moving there next month, so we’ll visit them for a couple days on our way out. Won’t have time for day trips this time, but since Queretaro is an easy, non stop flight for us I see many more visits in the future and will save these suggestions for then.
Jun 18th, 2019, 05:53 PM

If you need any input (like location) on hotels in San Miguel post or pm me. I live here full time and lived a year in Queretaro. Your friends I'm sure will enjoy the city. I know a few hotels in Guanajuato as we do an overnight there from time to time.
Jun 25th, 2019, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

If you need any input (like location) on hotels in San Miguel post or pm me. I live here full time and lived a year in Queretaro. Your friends I'm sure will enjoy the city. I know a few hotels in Guanajuato as we do an overnight there from time to time.
Thank you Baldone! I'm going to message you.
Jun 25th, 2019, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Actually, I just settled on a stay in Guanajuato at Casa del Rector Hotel Boutique y Arte (any knowledge of this hotel or its location?). I would still like to visit the mask museum and the botanical garden in SMA. I know a day trip is easy from Guanajuato but it seems more efficient to just spend the night there since it’s on the way to Queretaro. We can hit the mask museum in the afternoon the day we come in and the botanical garden in the morning before heading to Queretaro.

I stayed at Casa Luna last time I was in SMA, a nice, quiet budget hotel a few blocks from the jardin. I think it will be fine for our one night stay but if you would recommend something else I’m all ears. Let me know if I should still private message you. I could use restaurant/bar recs too.
Jun 27th, 2019, 06:01 PM

I've not stayed at Casa Del Rector, but rather at Mesón De Poetas next door. Good location. I'm not a big fan of the hotels around the Jardin De Union.
And if you're comfortable with Casa Luna, there's no reason not to stay there again. You can spend less, but you can also spend a whole lot more. I like the location. I agree that spending a night in sma is worth the effort.
As far as restaurants, ¡hijole! So many options in all prices and menus. And my tastes and budget may not be the same as yours. But a couple suggestions. For a bar, it's tough to beat the rooftop Luna at the Rosewood hotel. Although they are increasingly picky about letting no-guests in when it's busy. La Posadita has a nice rooftop restaurant with a great view of the Parroquia. Pueblo Viejo has always been one of our favorites. 2x1 margaritas & Mojitos Monday-Thursday (except holiday periods) and they're not watered down. Live music after 8. They too have a rooftop bar, La Azotea, but not much of a view. We crave their jicama tacos, which are normally only on the Azotea bar menu but if you ask they'll serve them in the main restaurant. Now, far from gourmet fare is Los Milagros on Relox. Their menu leans toward tex-mex but their molcajetes are huge. Noisy, boisterous & popular place with Mexican families from CDMX. Live music starting around 6. Another good place for drinks is La Mezcaleria. Their mezcal margaritas are unique; cilantro, cucumber, with a white chili infusion and worm salt. Breakfast, La Parroquia. Lunch, Hecho En México, a short walk from centro, near the Rosewood.
I was semi-disappointed by the Jardin Botánico. Nice enough walking trails and some good views. You might love it. Consists mostly of native cacti and such moved there because of construction elsewhere. BTW, the Mask Museum and the Jardin Botánico are on the same street. If you're really ambitious you could walk to both, but it's uphill from centro. Parque Juárez is much more lush and shady. The nearby wash basins at El Chorro are kind of a local historical landmark, where nuns used to do laundry.
Probably your friends in Queretaro know the restaurant scene by now. But fwiw, both the 1810 and Chucho Roto on plaza de Armas rarely disappoint. Another favorite is Cerveceria Hercules (microbrewery) near where the acueducto begins. It's set in an old textile mill. Planta Alta, a more upscale place is in the same location.
Edit: asterisks somehow end up after my sentences! I deleted them, I think.*