Where to meet someone at the San Jose, CR international airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be arriving at the San Jose, CR international airport (Juan Santamaria). I friend of mine who currently is in Costa Rica intends on meeting me at the airport. I need to give my friend specific instructions as to where to meet. Based on past experiences and security restrictions, I don't think there is anywhere inside the airport (ie. baggage claim) where we can meet. I know that after clearing customs and immigration they funnel you into an area where the taxi drivers wait for business. Is this the same area where Costa Ricans (Ticos) wait in order to pick up their loved ones when they arrive at the airport? To whoever can answer this question, thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Yes that´s right, after you claim your luggage, you will go out to that area, that´s were your friend will be waiting for you. We just have one area for arrivals, this includes taxis, shuttle, private transportation, family, anyone...
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM

It couldn't hurt to co-ordinate which side you will meet on. After you finish Customs and come out into the glass walled area, you can turn left or right. They both put you in relatively the same place, just 30 ft or so apart. So with all the drivers, taxi drivers etc, it may cut down on having to search for each other.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Absolutely agree with Tully. Our plan is to always go to the right as we exit the building. There is a little bench down there. . . It would be nice for your friend to be there in advance of your exiting the building--the "helpers" will drive you nuts. "no, gracias" "no, gracias" "no gracias". Repeat: "no, gracias"!!!

If you want to be in the area where there is a place for cokes or snacks (or water), exit to the left.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 03:21 PM

Occasional reports of bag snatchers/purse snatchers milling around in the crowd in this outside greeting area. They wait for an arriving passenger to come out and set their things down and hug or shake hands with someone greeting them. Then they swoop in in that moment of distraction and grab a purse or a small carryon bag and run off with it.

Save your hugs and handshakes with your friend and don't do them in this area. Also, I make a point to "collect myself" after going through the bag-xray machines, while I'm still inside. I put on my jacket. If my passport is still out, I put it away. Do it before you get to the outer room where all the car rental windows are. Once you get out there, you are still inside, but that room has big outdoor windows and people can see where you're putting things.

It isn't that it's dangerous in this outside waiting area, but I've heard so many stories of people having something taken the moment they arrive. Not a fun welcome to Costa Rica.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM

I agree with Jeff and once outside hang to your right and meet by the public telephones.