Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   where to go on my miles-Playa del Carmen or Costa Rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/where-to-go-on-my-miles-playa-del-carmen-or-costa-rica-942930/)

daisee Jul 15th, 2012 01:35 PM

where to go on my miles-Playa del Carmen or Costa Rica

We have enough miles to go to either-went to Cancun 30 years ago-PDC sounds nice. Going to the 'X' parks looks fun, nice beach and snorkeling. We do not party or drink, so that's not what we are looking for. Costa Rica sounds like a lot of activities, but not the pretty beaches of the Yucatan, and getting around sounds like a pain. But someplace we want to explore. leaning towards Yucatan, but are the beaches swimable? Heard it's tough to swim-any thoughts are great, or other suggestions.

volcanogirl Jul 15th, 2012 01:54 PM

Check out Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica - the beach inside the park is beautiful, lots of hotel and restaurant choices, and tons of wildlife.

schmerl Jul 16th, 2012 05:40 AM

There are swimable beaches in the Yucatan. Look into the Maroma Beach area or Tulum or Akumal.

zootsi Jul 16th, 2012 05:54 AM

I haven't been to Costa Rica (yet), but been to the Yucatan many times. I believe Costa Rica is more about nature, hikes, animals and scenery. The Yucatan is about beaches and snorkeling. There are amazing white sand beaches running from Cancun down to Tulum. The most swimable are probably Akumal, Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morelos. Tulum beaches are beautiful, but can be rough. Akumal and Puerto Morelos also have from the beach snorkeling. Have you checked out the locogringo.com website?

jamie99 Jul 16th, 2012 10:22 AM

Akumal is very safe as the reef is close to shore so unless it is extremely windy it should be fine and you can also snorkel and swim at nearby Yal-Ku Lagoon.

suze Jul 16th, 2012 11:51 AM

Sure you can swim in places along the 'Mayan Riviera' it's the Caribbean after all.

I'd use your free miles to go which ever place normally is the more expensive plane ticket to get the most bang for your buck.

emd3 Jul 17th, 2012 06:35 AM

Whoever told you that the beaches in that area of Mexico (it is the state of Quintana Roo, on the Yucatan peninsula) are tough to swim in is totally misinformed. The beaches there are some of the best swimming beaches in the world. Even the beaches right in Playa del Carmen offer wonderful swimming. No big waves, clear beautiful Caribbean water, perfect for swimming. Some beaches like Akumal have reefs in some areas, but they are still good for swimming as you can swim or snorkel right over the coral.

That area also offers wildlife. There are the large sea turtles you can observe up close while snorkeling right off the beach in Akumal, all kinds of marine life while snorkeling, spider monkeys at the Jungle Place Sanctuary (wonderful place, make reservations early before you go), there is a group of environmentalists who stroll the beach at Xpu-ha with toucans and parrots, raising money for their efforts, Xel-ha, etc.

We do not go out to party or drink in Playa del Carmen or the surrounding area towns. We stay in the north end of Playa del Carmen in a condo that we own and it is nice and quiet there and has easy walking access to many many great restaurants of all kinds.

There is a good cheap system of colectivos in Playa del Carmen to take you anywhere you want to go, including Akumal, Tulum, etc.

I don't know about Costa Rica, but I do know that Playa is a great vacation - you can do as much or as little as you want, beaches are great, restaurants are many and varied and good, shopping is good, inexpensive day spas and massages, parks like XCaret, Cplor, Xel-ha, and lots of other things to do. Or just go to the beach clubs and relax at the beach.

daisee Jul 23rd, 2012 08:41 AM

thanks-I think Playa Del Carmen sounds perfect!