Where to go in Mexico

Aug 30th, 2000, 08:07 AM
Chris

Where to go in Mexico

My husband and I are trying to decide where to go at March break. We have narrowed it down to Villa del Palmar in Cabo San Lucas (I'm afraid that it won't be warm enough - I like it hot), Sierra Nuevo Vallarta in Puerto Vallarta or the Barcelo Mayan Resort on the Mayan Riviera. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations.

Aug 30th, 2000, 08:22 AM
marilyn

If you really like hot weather, Cabo MAY not be warm enough. We were there one spring break (last week in March), and it was very pleasant. There was a brisk breeze a lot of the time, though, so you might prefer PV or the Mayan Riviera. I also thought Cabo was very expensive for Mexico, and though the combination of sea/desert/mountain was very beautiful, there wasn't as much to do--sightseeing, etc--as in PV and especially the Mayan Riviera, with the archeological sites.

Aug 30th, 2000, 08:35 AM
jbrooks

I have never been to Cabo, but I do know the weather can be cooler if a beach vacation is what you had in mind!

Both sides of Mexico has great scenery, lots of cultural things to do, nice warm weather. But, if you want clear caribbean waters to swim in to snorkel, I would definitely suggest the mayan side (but stay away from Cancun). Puerto Vallarta does not have nice beaches, most of the swimming is done in the hotel pools. The nicest beach on the pacific side (for swimming, etc) are in Hautulco (i have not been here) and Zihuatanejo...This is our favorite on the pacific side. It is right next to Ixtapa (a very commercialized tourist area) but has more flavor and has much better, well-protected beaches. For very nice accomodations on LA Ropa Beach try the Villa del sol...we saw a couple of famous people here. Right next door is the casual but fun Villa Mexicana. Our patio here stepped right out on the sand (pay a little extra for beach front). Also very nice but back from the beach is the Casa Que Canta, another hideaway for the famous.

On the mayan side, there are some neat smaller hotels that are not all-inclusive. Actually, you will most likely have better food if you do not have all inclusive packages as after two days, you usually get tired of the food at the hotel (which doesn't change all that much) and go out to eat anyways. But, everything is so cheap there that make sure you are getting a good deal if you go all-inclusive. We would only for shorter trips and we don't feel guilty eating out a few times. The hotel we last stayed at has changed hands so I don't feel sure of them to recommend, Barcelo usually has a good reputation...expect a lot of people to be european there. For real romantic spots, try moon palace or royal hideaway.

Both sides have neat things to see and do. The MAyan Riveria is beautiful for its white sand beaches and clear blue waters, but the pacific side has great sunsets and green hills. Try to make it to the other side on your next trip and have fun!

Aug 30th, 2000, 12:39 PM
mexicodan

For Real Mexico stay at the Villa Montana Adventue Outpost in La Manzanilla, Mexico on the pristine Bay of Tenacatita. www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

Sep 1st, 2000, 07:48 AM
Jesse

Is anyone ever going to do anything about the advertising on this board? I thought the idea was for fellow travellers to share info not for companies to push their products/resorts. Thats not to say that these folks have nothing constructive to say, its just that there is no way for them to respond from an objective view point.

Sep 1st, 2000, 08:43 AM
Laurel

Jesse I sooo agree with you! Fodors should raise thier standards in this department!

Sep 6th, 2000, 05:20 AM
Pancho

There goes this Mexicodan guy and his "real Mexico". I am sure that many of my fellow contrymen would like to know just where and what this "real Mexico" is.

Sep 11th, 2000, 01:07 AM
James

I definately concur. This mexicodan guy has to go. Hey Dan...if I want a timeshare then I'll call....I haven't called yet so get the point.

Oct 1st, 2000, 08:31 PM
Bonnie

We stayed at the Sierra NV a few years ago with our teen-aged children. It was a wonderful property. We loved so may things about it, where do I begin? The people at the hotel were wonderful. The choice of restaurants on the property were great (more about that later), the activities went from morning to night, and I could get a latte every morning in the lobby before my morning walk on the great beach. What more could I ask? One suggestion..we changed our rooms after a day to main floor rooms which had patios. It was wonderful because I could sit outside reading, my husband could have a siesta and I could see the kids in the pool; the kids could come in and out without having to bother with an elevator. They have a great spa. And each night they had an excursion into town to one of the clubs/restaurants for the teenagers+. Re:the restaurants...a fine dining restaurant or the grill or the main buffet. We did lunches at the grill in our bathing suits. It was definitely the nicest hotel at the time on the beach. Hope that helps.