Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to go in Costa Rica for family of five?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of five (children aged 6, 12, & 13) and have a week in March for vacation. We want to go to Costa Rica and are trying to figure out a reasonable itinerary. We have seven nights. Ideally we would like to visit Arenal and then one of the beaches. Any suggestions? What roughly is the distance between San Jose and Arenal? We are considering renting a car; however, in reading previous posts, we are wondering if we would be better off flying between locations. We like the flexibility that a car gives us to explore on our own.

We would also love your accommodation suggestions! Thanks,
Jeanne
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:29 PM

yourtravelmap.com for driving times.
You mean SJO (in Alajuela) not San Jose.
The classic one-week first-time-to-CR family itinerary is Arenal and Manuel Antonio.
Especially at those distances and with the 5-passenger economies of scale, I would recommend driving.
Above from research for own trip, not experience.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:44 PM

I agree with the other poster about doing Manuel Antonio. The beaches in Guanacaste are gorgeous but I think for families there's more to do in MA. I wouldn't recommend flying either btw. the Arenal and MA areas. Driving does offer much convenience for a family. If you're leery of driving at all (because some of the roads in CR can make you feel faint of heart sometimes), I'd recommend doing private transfers-Interbus and Grayline are both good and reputable companies that have private passenger vans (8 people I think) that go between the major tourist areas.

Good luck!

traveltalesfromtheredheadedtraveler.blogspot.com/
(My travel writing blog)
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM

Both are great, but I agree with the others above on Manuel Antonio (MA). I suggest one picking one area as it's a good 5 hr drive between MA & Arenal. Check our Buena Vista Villas / Tulemar property in MA. They have a great location and private beach. In addition they have kitchenettes which are really nice for the family. Enjoy!
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

So it sounds like our plan to drive to Arenal and then to Manuel Antonio makes sense. Suggestions for hotels in each location that are family friendly?
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 12:49 PM

I definitely think the Arenal and MA combo would be a hit. That's the most popular combo for first timers. Los Lagos and Silencio del Campo are both popular with young families in the Arenal area; if you want to be right up on the volcano, check out Arenal Observatory Lodge, but it's further from town. In MA, Tulemar Bungalows mentioned by SiteC is one of the most popular spots. Also Costa Verde and Si Como No. When we did that trip, it was about three hours from SJO to Arenal and about five between Arenal and Manuel Antonio. With that many people, I'd either drive or hire a private driver. Interbus will charge you per person while a private driver will just charge a flat rate.