Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   where to find ceramics and crafts in Peru and Rio (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/where-to-find-ceramics-and-crafts-in-peru-and-rio-538765/)

mbtnyc Jun 22nd, 2005 02:25 PM

where to find ceramics and crafts in Peru and Rio

Believe me, I know that there is much more to both of these destinations than shopping, but I am looking for unique stores or markets where I can find very nice ceramics, jewelry and other kinds of artistic pieces in Peru and Rio. In Peru, I will be in Lima, Cusco, Sacred Valley (2nights in Ollantaytambo), Machu Picchu. I am looking for less "touristy" pieces if possible (if that exists... for example in Italy there are stores that sell factory made/style products and then ones that sell unique products). I know there are a ton of markets in this area, so if you know ones that are better than others, please let me know.

I have heard that there are some wonderful ceramic and art studios that you can visit... this may be my best bet? Know of any that you can recommend?

someone had posted a shopping question on this forum and someone said to look on Ebay... those are not the kind responses I am looking for please.

These are the things I enjoy bringing back with me... this is one way to help me hold onto the trip once I am back to reality.

thank you

RBCal Jun 22nd, 2005 02:54 PM

The best place in Peru for unique ceramics is the Seminario ceramic studio/store in Urubamba. He also has a store on the Plaza de Armas in Cusco, but the prices there are higher.
His studio in Urubamba is not cheap either but it is first rate quality.

http://www.ceramicaseminario.com/

kathleen Jun 23rd, 2005 04:49 AM

Here are the shopping excursions that I found most desirable from my recent trip to Peru.

In Cusco, San Blas plaza area, there are several galleries which carry Mendivil family art work. Look up: Fodor destinations/peru/cusco/ sights and activities for more information on this peruvian artist and his family. These art figures are unique with long necks which mimic the llamas's long necks. They're quite interesting, and very striking.

On another day, and part of a city tour-day trip around Cusco, our guide scheduled a stop at a texile shop outside of Cusco, on the return from visiting nearby ruins. I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was right on the main road back into town. The shop had so much to choose from, including the complete Alpaca quality range of goods.

In the Sacred Valley the market at Pisac had tons of items to buy. We went on a Sunday which is one of the biggest market days of the week. I think Tuesday is another good day to go.

Hope this helps. Kathy

cmcfong Jun 23rd, 2005 07:58 AM

RBCal has suggested Semanario and I want to ditto that. She has absolutely gorgeous stock, which she will mail for you. I went with three friends and we could easily have spent our entire budget there. Her prices there are quite reasonable. Not far from the shop is a shop of alpaca wovens. Lovely pashmina type shawls in alpaca. The folks at Semanario will be able to direct you.
About two blocks off the main square in Cuzco is a shop owned by artisans from different areas of Peru. The work is gorgeous, usually there are several of the craftswomen there weaving. I think most hotels can tell you where the shop is.
I also found some great leather boots and shoes in brilliant colors. They are so cute and cost maybe $20-25. My friends were furious when I returned with pairs for me and nothing for them, but sizing is very hit or miss. Unless you are really certain of the correct size, don't buy. Mine always garner compliments when I wear them.
I had hoped to find some gorgeous Peruvian knit sweaters after seeing all the Peruvian Connection catalogues, but they aren't in Peru...they have all been shipped to the US. Frankly the stuff I saw in the markets was generally not particularly well made. Your experience may be different.
Have a wonderful time. Peru is magnificent.

RBCal Jun 23rd, 2005 08:06 AM

Just to clarify Pablo and his wife Marilú Seminario both run the ceramic studio in Urubamba.

Dondiega Jun 23rd, 2005 08:54 AM

They have a fair on Sunday in Rio in Ipanema it is called ferre de Hippie and it is on General Osario park all day sunday where many artisians display their wares.

lelc00 Jun 23rd, 2005 12:21 PM

Everything in Cusco is touristy and gringo oriented, Following some recommendations, I found the most unique pieces of ceramic and wood handcrafts with silver inserts at bargain prices in Lima, it was a factory called Colque or Kolke. I cant remember.
It was in San Isider district, two blocks away from the Sonesta Hotel.
I would also try an Inca Market at Petit Thours avenue, same things at better prices than Cusco.

cmcfong Jun 29th, 2005 03:29 PM

I meant to mention that one of the nicest things I bought in Peru was alpaca yarn. I got very reasonably priced, beautiful quality yarn in natural colors. I knit and the yarn made up into gorgeous gifts for friends.

alexandra90 Aug 25th, 2005 05:42 PM

Seminario, located in Urubamba, is rather over-priced, and is gated in and a little offensive to local culture. However, the products I bought there were well-made enough to survive the journey home, so that's a real plus! If you'd like a more authentic piece, try some of the marketplaces: such as Pisac, Chinchero, or the small market at the base of Ollantaytambo ruins. The market prices are also much, much cheaper than seminario, but I am not sure if they are as well made. Hope this helps, Alexandra.

jczinn Aug 29th, 2005 08:06 AM

We visited Seminario and really did not care for the ceramics at all. Very non-traditional, touristy stuff. Didn't buy anything there. We did buy a lovely ceramic piece in Cuzco at a small gallery--I will need to search for the name of it.

For really quality textiles, the best place we found is the Center for Traditional Textiles of Cuzco (http://www.incas.org/SPChinchero.htm) They have a museum and shop located at the base of the Qoricancha (Temple of the Sun) on Avenida Sol #603A in Cuzco. This is high-quality stuff, not inexpensive, but really wonderful. We purchased a table runner and a small wall hanging. Save your money to shop here!

thespis Aug 30th, 2005 03:19 AM

in Rio: Santa Teresa district - near Largo dos Guimarães there are many stores. Also "PeŽ de Boi" at Rua Ipiranga.

mbt127 Jan 15th, 2006 10:06 AM

After so many of you were kind enough to post a reply, I thought I would let you know that I bought a couple of pieces in Peru at Seminario (studio in Urubamba) and found a great shop in Lima in the LarcoMar shopping center called Artydea... traditional figures painted in vibrant colors by a well known Italian artist, Lulli Luca... a little expensive, but beautiful!
Thanks to all ... beyond the shopping, Peru was definitely one of my best travel experiences.