Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where should we for our all inclusive birthday getaway?

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

My boyfriend and I are looking into all inclusive places for a joint birthday getaway. We would like to travel for ~5-7 days between now and May but avoid spring breakers, if possible.

A little about us
We are both in our late 20s (well, he is turning 30!) and although we love kids, we have no children so we would prefer a place that is either adults only or has a small volume of children. We like relaxation but would like to have the option for some activity if we feel inclined. We love good food and we (I) would love to stay somewhere where there are bali beds if possible. We're not looking to break the bank with this trip, but we want to stay somewhere nice.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give!
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 08:59 AM

I'd look at the Mayan Riviera (you'd fly into Cancun then head down to the Playa del Carmen area). Lots of AI options. I've never been but there's loads of information both here on Fodor's and also over on Trip Advisor.

I personally like both Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas, but All-Inclusive resorts aren't really as much of a thing those towns as available on the Caribbean side.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 09:47 AM

I'm pretty partial to Oaxaca right now. It's fairly popular, but feels a little bit more off the beaten path than some of the other resort areas. Culturally, it's also one of the more interesting parts of Mexico. It has a large Indian population and great food. There are several nice all-inclusives around Huatulco you should check out. It will be the next really hot, but hopefully not overdeveloped tourist destination, so it might be fun to see it now before that happens. The one hopeful thing about Huatulco is that the Mexican government seems intent at least for now of developing it with "green" environmentally sustainable practices. No buildings over three stories tall, a lot of solar, and recycling, etc. It's the first tourist destination in the Americas to receive an Earthcheck Gold certification. If you've seen what happened to Acapulco right up the coast, which sits in one of the most beautiful bays in the world, but has been ruined by overdevelopment, this is encouraging.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 03:32 PM

Check out Verana outside of puerto vallarta (www.verana.com). Adults only, all-inclusive. Architectural digest bungalow and amazing food. Its not for everyone as the bungalows are open air (i.e., bugs at night), but it was one of the best vacations we ever had and the food was awesome. Definitely not your typical all-inclusive.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 02:13 AM

mexico.bookit.com Cabo Dreams or
Secrets Maroma Cancun/PDC little
more heat rain but fun lots to do
ruins xel-ha.com

Congrats!
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 05:28 AM

Cancun is probably your most affordable choice - they have adults only properties.
Riviera Maya is nice also.
If you want to see local things without going on $$ day trips, Cancun is your better choice. Buses run outside all the hotels constantly and are cheap - I want to say they were about 50 cents a ride. Easy to go up and down one basic road. Shopping all over and restaurants and a couple markets which are fun.
If you stay somewhere farther south, the places are much much bigger and isolated and getting to a town is a bit more difficult. It's nice but you have to depend on the hotel bus (I think it was $6 round trip) to get you to town. And then be on their schedule.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM

It all depends on what you're looking for... I just wrote about choosing between Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo. Maybe it will help you! http://www.justwanderlustblog.com/20...erto-vallarta/