Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Where should I take my family? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/where-should-i-take-my-family-481748/)

Katie2004 Oct 21st, 2004 12:56 PM

Where should I take my family?

I'd like to take our five-member family (Mom, Dad, college freshman, high school sophomore and fourth grader) somewhere (!) in Mexico the week before Christmas. We're not looking for the resort vacation ? not that we mind sun and sand ? but would like to experience the culture and history. We'd probably fly from Los Angeles. Baja looks nice, but the fares are pretty expensive in December; maybe they're less so in more out-of-the-ordinary places?? Can someone help with locale and/or lodging, activities, etc.? Thanks so much.

Traveler863 Oct 21st, 2004 02:00 PM

Look at fares on high volume routes, such as Mexico City, you'll find cheaper fares on those. From that do some research on what is within a reasonable distance to visit that might interest you. Kinda backwards travel planning but can turn out a great trip sometimes.

PONCHOTJ Oct 21st, 2004 02:54 PM

Just to let you know, traveling during December and early January to anywhere in Mexico is the most expensive time of the year. All the flights are completely booked during that time. You will most likely not find any good deals.

RobertSDF Oct 23rd, 2004 06:13 AM

December, close to Christmas, is peak season and the highest rates. The rates normally take a bit of a dip in January and return to the peak rates in February.

butsey Oct 25th, 2004 12:11 PM

Puerto Vallarta is a great place prices are the cheapest in January right after the New Year. We have been a few times the weather was great. I live on the East Coast so we have to travel a long way but it is worth it. Good Luck One more thing Try not to go all inclusive you really lose a lot by not trying out the many wonderful restaurants.

sol_veracruzano Oct 25th, 2004 02:11 PM

December is high season in Mexico

I agree with PONCHOTJ

I would recommend Mexico City, and a day trip to Puebla, it's a wonderful colonial town, the Zocalo area is beautiful, food is great and the weather can't be beat.

Katie2004 Oct 27th, 2004 11:33 AM

Thanks, everyone. I think we'll spend a few days in Baja and plan a big trip to Mexico City and environs in the spring.

carcassone Oct 27th, 2004 03:33 PM

Last year, we spent 5 days between X'mas and New Year in Mexico City. Unlike the coastal resorts, X'mas is actually a low season in Mexico City itself because all the city folks head to the beach for their vacation. Most hotels have discounted rates for this period. The city is deserted compare to "normal". Almost no traffic and pollution.

While almost everything was closed on X'mas Day, Museo Nacional de Antropologia (the best!) was actually opened on Dec 25th. We had the whole museum to ourselves. It wasn't until around 2pm that we started to see a few locals trickled in.

As a day trip, we hired a car to Teotihuacan and it was well worth it. There were plenty to see inside Mexico City itself to keep us busy. All very cultural and full of history.

Couple weeks ago, my daughter's 7th grade social studies class discussed about the Wal-Mart/Teotihuacan controversy. Being the only one in class who has climbed these pyramids, she was able to give a unique point of view. This is why we travel with our children!