Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where should I swim with Dolphins in Cancun?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 06:49 AM
Laura

I'm going to Cancún for honeymoon and I'd like to swim with the dolphins. But there are several kinds of tours (very expensive). <BR>Does anybody can tell me which is the cheapest tour available for that? (where? Isla Mujeres, X-caret or Cozumel) are they all the same?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:41 PM
dmotl

YOur best chance would be Isla Mujeres in my opinion. Although with the tourist panic, x-caret may be possible. <BR>In any case be prepared to spend alot of money $150+ for the honor.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 06:26 PM
Anony

<BR>I read that you are interested in Dolphins. So here are two good web sites to check up on <BR> <BR>www.dolphinproject.org Read the Archives and the Issues. <BR> <BR>www.wspa.ca/dolphins.html From World Protection Society of Animals some good dolphin stories that made the news recently.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 04:49 AM
Free Dolphin

Also, an article that is truly eye opening to the horrible facts of captive dolphin swims, this story from ABC News / 20/20 even takes place in Mexico: <BR> <BR>http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/..._dolphins.html <BR> <BR>If you love dolphins, dont be a part of their exploitation. You can swim with wild ones if you must.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:39 AM
Ally

I'm the biggest Dolphin fan there is. I even have dolphins on my wedding ring. PLEASE don't support the establishment that 'cage' Dolphins for profit. Most are treated wrong. Most DIE at a early age due to captivity. Just DON'T DO IT, please.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:04 AM
hutch

Try Xelha. You need to rent a car and it's about an hour drive south near Tolume. It's a great place, all inclusive snorkling with all meals and drinks included about $50 pp. It's a very large natural lagoon with all kinds of fish safely pened in. <BR> <BR>The dolphin swiming is extra though. I wouldn't recomend it. It's not like you see on tv. You have a class in the water with the dolfins, and one by one you get to pet and touch them, then take a ride. My friend who did it said it was not worth the $. <BR> <BR>While ther make sure you visit the pyramids at tolume and swim at the beach. <BR> <BR>Definatly go to Isla Mujeres. If I ever went to Cancun again, that's where I would stay. I really hate Cancun with all it huge hotels, expensive prices etc. <BR> <BR>Check out my website for info about a really unique place where I just bought a sea view lot for only $22,500 <BR>http://www.geocities.com/sanfelipesun/ <BR> <BR>Adios

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 09:35 AM
sara-t

That is sad.. Captive dolphins.. Perhaps there is another way to have an experience with them other than encouraging this kind of thing. I woudl love to swim with them. But I have to boycott this. Consider the dolphins.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Angie

I have once "petted" the dolphins and have once "swam" with them. I went to Isla Mujeres (just north of Cancun) and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I think I paid around $120 dollars and it was worth every penny. (Definitely swin, rather than just pet them if ever given the option). I think some of the others are over-reacting to the mistreatment of dolphins. Are all of these people vegetarians, because I don't think they treat cows very well either, but they sure are yummy Have fun. <BR>P.S. I just got a tatto of a dolphin jumping through a sunset on my back, my husband thinks I am crazy, but I love it.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Free Dolphin

Maybe Angies tattoo should be of a sad captive dolphin face looking into the open ocean where its free family is jumping through a sunset. The captive dolphins days of jumping through sunsets are long gone and never to be again! <BR> <BR>Well, as long us as humans are having fun, thats all that matters, right?

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Ally

HEY ANGIE, <BR>Did you even bother to READ the web sites posted above? I think not. I don't know how anyone would still want to 'swim with captive dolphins' once they have been educated on the subject. You obviously are not. <BR>I for one am not over-reacting nor a vegetarian. And no, cows are NOT treated as bad as dolphins. Jeez, what a stupid remark. Why don't you grow up and READ about the subject before you just say 'do it'. <BR>I'll bet it was NOT memorable for the dolphin. I'll bet the fondest memory the dolphin has is of his/her pod and their freedom.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 04:15 PM
pt

Perhaps you should watch a dolphin capture one day. Then maybe you would change your mind.