Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

WHERE IS THERE NO SEAWEED IN THE CANCUN AREA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to stay at a 4 star all inclusive in the Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Puerto Morales areas? The ocean is very important to us. We want a calm ocean and no seaweed. We have never been to Mexico, and it is very hard to pick from pics. Any suggestions?
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:26 AM

This is what I can tell you from my own experience. The farther south you go from Cancun the better the seaweed situation gets. We have stayed at the Paridisus and it was loaded with seaweed. The next year we tried Secrets Capri and it had some seaweed. The next year we tried the Iberostar Complex and it was better than the first two. Next time we are going to try Secrets Maroma - we walked there south from the Iberostar complex last year (probably a mile or so) and did not see any seaweed. From Secrets Maroma south I think it is OK.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 07:54 AM

Well it's the ocean and seaweed grows all over the ocean floor so I think you're going to be hard pressed to find an area on the ocean that never sees at least some from time to time. Calm days and periods following calm days usually don't have too much but if the sea gets churned up inevitably some gets washed up pretty much anywhere.
Try another perspective. If you want to see tortugas as they exist in nature, a BEUATIFUL site, most people go to Akumal. The sea floor there has lots of sea grass which is what attracts the turtles and makes for fabulous snorkelling.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
jw2

"WHERE IS THERE NO SEAWEED IN THE CANCUN AREA"

Sam's Club parking lot, for one place
But there's usually inverse ratios of surf and roughness. You won't see any seaweed / grass along most of the east side of Cancun - and the beaches on the north side (calm water / bahia de mujeres) can look like a lawn.

Of course the more picturesque (no seaweed, blue water, white surf) the beach the less safe it is to swim in.

I'd agree that the best combination / compromise is along the mainland coast from about Puerto Morelos to south of Tulum, including Akumal and playa del carmen.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 05:29 AM

I like jw2 response I was going to say the airport. We stayed at the Dreams Tulum, however there is really no great swimming spots, the beach is great, the drinks are great. When we were there we say the staff digging a big hole, they explained that they would bury the seaweed and it would turn into sand in 3 months. This seemed very odd to me that vegetation could turn into sand but as I though about all the sand mixed in with the seaweed it made sense to me. I stayed at the Rui in Cancun and they trucked the seaweed out of there everyday, imagine if they had a Bobcat to dig a huge hole how much higher there beach would have been. We have also stayed at the Grand Bahia Principa and we did not notice any excess seaweed and we did get some swimming in.