Where is the Sam's Club store in Playa del Carmen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is it located? Is it part of the American chain of stores? We do not have Sam's Club where I come from. Do we need to be a member to go to the one in PDC?
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:50 PM

The Sam's Club is located at Highway 307 and Juarez. I think you have to be a member.
Right next to Sam's Club is a Chedruai Supermarket. It has almost everything that Sam's Club has and you don't have to be a member. I would spend my money at the Chedruai, rather than making the Walton family richer.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:31 PM

The Sam's Club in Cancun is exactly the same as the Sam's Clubs in the US. You need to be a member to get in and make purchases.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. We will go to Chedruai.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 03:14 PM

I forgot my card to Sam's club when I was in Puerto Vallarta. They gave me a temp. card. I think you can ask for a day pass if you are not a member while in Mexico. Chedraui is good. I like both.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Doesn't it tell you something that an American is asking where is a Sam's Club in Playa del Carmen? Doesn't make me want to get there faster.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

I am not American. I want to know where the Sam's Club is in case we want to stock up on bottled water or juice. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg in a hotel gift shop and water is a little heavy to bring from home. Why would you assume I am American?
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 04:46 AM

My apologies. Now I know the Walton arm is trully global. I really shouldn't be surprised. I am sorry to offend you but not the Waltons. One could buy the items at a local supermarket.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 06:46 AM

by the time you spend the extra money for transportation and time to go to a "Sam's Club" you would probably be better off just buying water in a local supermarket. Many supermarkets in countries outside the US sell it by the case and is a lot cheaper than buying it in a hotel gift shop.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Okay already, forget the water. I'll just drink beer.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 09:17 AM

you can probably buy the beer by the case in a local supermarket. Much cheaper than buying it in the hotel gift shop.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Do they sell beer at Sam's club? ;-)
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 02:50 PM

I like your sense of humor. Yes, they probably do but it will be warm. You would probably be better off buying it in the hotel gift shop.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:02 PM

My husband says, "Go to Gigante" That's a supermarket is some parts of Mexico. Is there one in Playa del Carmen? There you can get cases of beer, water, juice.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Read the first reply, there is no Gigante but there is a Chedruai which is a supermarket, liquor store, clothing store, etc.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:07 PM

Sorry, RCCal, you had it right the first time.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Now that I think more about it, I would forget Sams, Chedruai, Gigante, the hotel gift shop, and instead just have the guy bring you a drink at the pool. Or better yet, go to an All Inclusive where you can drink for free.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:35 AM

There is a Gigante in Playa, actually, though it goes under it's main name of SuperMaz. This is on 30th Ave and... well it must be something like 34th street or so. Well north, about as far north as the last resorts that are still in town. I believe the Gigante name is applied to the really big outlets, in the same way Hyper- might be applied to a really big Wal-Mart or something.

Which brings us around to Wal-Mart, which will be opening rather soon, form the looks of it (amazing progress on the construction) and which will be more centrally located than any of the others mentioned here, including Chedraui. It's going to fill the block between 25th and 30th aves and 8th and 10th street, 1 block west of city hall, 2 blocks west of the new plaza-style park, and 3 blocks west of Plaza Pelicanos.

And just a couple of blocks north of them, helping to put a fatal hold on the San Francisco supermarket, will later appear a large Comercial Mexicana supermarket, which will be hard to distinguish from Chedraui in the interior and which again will be more centrally located than Chedraui, as well (unless perhaps you're coming from a resort in Playacar). Look for these two to put the extended whammy on Chedraui, as well, to some more limited extent, but for San Francisco to exit entirely within a few months of them both opening.

Ah, and they all carry beer, yes. Currently if you're looking for any beer that's not Mexican, Sam's will be your best bet.

Steve
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Actually, you don't drink for "free" at an All Inclusive....the drinks are built into your price. Granted, some folks get a lot MORE for their money than others do, but I guess it all balances out in the long run. This is not to say AIs are bad. My wife and I rather enjoy them, and I will admit that we tend to get our money's worth of their booze!