Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Where in Guatemala to spend the Mar. 19 festival (San Jose)?
Notices

Where in Guatemala to spend the Mar. 19 festival (San Jose)?

Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Where in Guatemala to spend the Mar. 19 festival (San Jose)?

I have read that Mar. 19 is a noteworthy festival day in many Guatemalan towns - is there one in particular worth checking out? I will be in the country that day, and I would love to experience a typical fiesta while I'm there, having never been in the country before (and not likely to go back anytime soon).

I have seen several towns listed as celebrating this holiday (referred to as "Patriarca San Jose) including San Pedro Pinula, San Jose del Golfo, El Adelanto, San Jose, and Morales. Has anyone experienced this festival in Guatemala, and was it worth checking out?

Thanks!
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:01 AM

Often when the saint's day falls on a weekday (that's the case here), the celebration is the nearest weekend. You could show up on Mar. 19 (Friday this year) and find that the celebration is really the 20th or 21st. It's difficult to find out until you're there on the ground.
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:00 AM

My guess is there would be events in celebration on Friday and Saturday but (unfortunately) good luck finding a schedule for any of those places in advance. When I was planning a week in Antigua during their Santiago festival last summer a friend on the ground finally got a schedule to me a week or so before we got there. Without local contacts the pick a spot/show up/enjoy plan may be your only option. I hope you'll post a travelogue!
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:04 AM

Also, it's hard to know what the festival will be like. Small town celebrations are generally ... small. If you're expecting something on the order of the Holy Week processions in Antigua, you'll be disappointed. They also can be quite modern. There may be some stands selling food. There may be some carnival rides. There may be a dance with modern Latin music. There will also be traditional elements too. I'm not sure I'd set off for some remote place without knowing more of what will be there (and when it will actually take place).

Search this Thread