Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   When to fit in Iguazu in October? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/when-to-fit-in-iguazu-in-october-329359/)

tully Mar 24th, 2008 04:38 PM

When to fit in Iguazu in October?

Arriving 10/24 (Friday) at 7:05am
Departing 10/31 (Friday) at 10pm

Wanting to reserve my BA hotel, I need to figure out exactly when to go to Iguazu for 2 nights. I'm tempted to just go the same day I arrive, unfortunately LAN only books 6 months out; best I can tell (as of at least Sept) their latest flight is at 11:40am. Is this too risky to try all in the same day? Would I be better off doing my first 4 nights in BA, fly to Iguazu for 2 nights, then back to BA for 1 more night?

Also, I'm assuming the consensus would be to book LAN over Aerolineas if it all possible?

owlwoman Mar 25th, 2008 04:56 AM

Hi tully,
I would probably do the opposite, stay in BA one night (I don't like flying all in one day, if you have any delays it just adds tension).

The domestic airport is close to DT (from the Marriott it was a 20 minute cab ride)., then go to Iguazu for 2 nights, back to BA for the rest of your trip. That way you'll have lots of time for shopping and R&R.

Yes, and I would book through LAN, after hearing all the AA stories. We used AA, but it was 4 years ago, they were fine, but I wouldn't trust them now.

You might also want to contact a TA, they might be able to get a better deal for you with an Iguazu package.

tully Mar 25th, 2008 05:28 PM

Thanks owlwoman for replying. The main reasons I was thinking of doing BA-4, Iguazu-2, BA-1 is that would put me in BA for the weekend, which I thought may be interesting to catch any of the fairs & such. Also, I'm sure Iguazu is busy all the time but I thought mid-week maybe a little less?

I did get a quote from Isabel for the Iguazu portion, it's just the waiting for the LAN portion to become available as I'm hoping that'll be a better option. I've already got a quote from ArtSuites directly, does it make a differance if I book or go thru a travel agent?

tully Mar 26th, 2008 04:04 AM

Any other suggestions on timing?

owlwoman Mar 26th, 2008 05:41 AM

Then do it that way, if you're staying in the same hotel on your return, you could leave most of your luggage there and just pack what you need for the Falls (it was very hot in March when we were there).

It's a good idea to be in BA over the weekend, I've heard the San Telmo fair is great.

I don't know about prices for hotels, my TA in AR booked all for us, we were upgraded to a suite at the Marriott last trip. Plus, when we stayed at the Bobo the last two nights, she arranged for a 6:00 pm checkout for us. Both were much appreciated.

tully Mar 26th, 2008 06:52 PM

Yeah, I've been reading about all the fairs on weekends and I thought it would be a nice time to be there then.

Good point about the TA and late check out times, my flight leaves so late that I was wondering what I was going to do about that.

Percy Mar 29th, 2008 12:51 PM

Hi tully , sorry I missed this posting of yours.

I have to agree with owlwoman and go to Iguazu Falls the next day....do your two days and then come back to Beunos Aires.

The flights leave to Iguazu Fall in the mornings(several flights a day), on Aerolineas Argentina.

Then counting the day you get there and the next day , you can see most of everything you want...then get a later in the day fight back to Buenos Aires.

You are better off being in Buenos Aires for all your final days and then flying out backhome from Buenos Airs rather than....Iguazu Falls..........to Buenos Aires( one day) ..then back home .

Have you arranged a Travel Guide in Buenos Aires.?

Do you have a list of places you want to see in Buenos Aires.?
I can tell you many places to see there.

I stayed at the Sheraton which is very nice and very handy walking to many places.

:) Percy

tully Mar 29th, 2008 06:37 PM

Hi Percy! I didn't mean to make you feel guilty :) but thanks for answering! So arriving on a Friday, you think too it'd be better to head to Iguazu the next day and spend 2 nights, then come back to BA Monday? I was thinking the weekend would be a nice time to be in BA with the fairs and such, but I could give it a pass. Boy do I have ideas for what to see - too much in fact! And of course I want to fit in an estancia visit, a visit to Tigre and a visit to Colonia - not sure if all that will happen though, not with only 5 nights!

I think I'm going to stay at Art Suites in the Recoleta area; I was looking at 2 in the Palermo area but I think the Art Suites will work out better for me for a first visit.

I've emailed Isabel and will probably have her book most of my trip, haven't yet as I want to get my CR trip done with first.

Any must sees you'd suggest apart from the usual suspects?

Scarlett Mar 29th, 2008 06:55 PM

tully, I think staying in town til mid week then going to Iguazu is a perfect idea.
Giving yourself a day here before your departure day.

You should be in town over a weekend, there is the Recoleta Feria and San Telmo. ST is a neighborhood and you can always see it any day but the Sunday market is really something to see..as well as the Tango dancers in the street etc.

I think you will love the Art Suites..we did.
Great neighborhood ( not that far from me ) - plenty of good places to eat and shop close to the hotel..easy to get to the rest of town from there ..

Book directly with the ArtSuites..ask if they have any specials..
ArtSuites will either extend your stay so you can leave your things in the room ( a small fee til 5-6 pm which is when you usually have to leave for the airport for night flights) or they will hold your things in the owners office until you are ready to leave.

The weather then is lovely, fall in Buenos Aires is beautiful, warm days, cool nights and flowers blooming everywhere, trees full of flowers..all the parks look so pretty.

Hope this helps :)

Percy Mar 29th, 2008 07:42 PM

Hi tully

I have to agree with Scarlett.

This is something like doing Quito and then the Galapagos...which do you do first.

Since there is so much to do and see in Buenos Aires( I will not give you a list) I am sure you know about the areas to see...
like La Boca, San Telmo and their main square Mayo Plaza etc.

You must and will go to Florida Street and just walk about and shop and look. The july 9th avenue!!..oops I said no list :)

After Buenos Aires you can go to Iguazu Falls...if you take the earliest flight from Buenos Aires, you will have time to do lots the day you arrive.....
then

the next day try to get a later afternoon (early evening flight back to Buenos Aires)..then from Buenos Aires...make the connection to fly back home.

This way , when you first arrive in Buenos Aires...you will do your Buenos Aires visit.

When this is over you will fly to Iguazu Falls and do your time there and then when this is over it is straight home via Buenos Aires.

There is a good guide in Buenos Aires, who posts onthis board.

His name is "avrooster' !!!

AVROOSTER , where are you? Can you help this lady out.?

Goodnight :)
Percy

avrooster Mar 30th, 2008 04:26 AM

Hi, Percy!

Whoever told you I'm a guide did not give you proper info.

And whoever told you I am a "good guide" is completely mistaken.

LOL!!!!

About "helping this lady out", it seems to me that the OP has already received plenty of good advice from several distinguished forum members who know what they are talking about.

I vote for leaving Iguazú for the final part of tully's stay, so she can enjoy the weekend in BA.

You'll have a great time in our country, tully. Just relax and don't try to do too much.

tully Mar 30th, 2008 05:40 AM

Many many thanks to all of you - of course you haven't made my decision any earlier :) Though I am still leaning to the first 4 nights in BA - we'll see, can't get my LAN flights right now anyway so I have a few more weeks to decide.

Scarlett yes I've read your and also many other good reviews on ArtSuites and it seems like it would work out best for me. The 2 I was looking at in Palermo seemed nice too, and the Palermo area seems really hip and happening - but I'm not, lol, so maybe Recoleta is a better fit for me. I was also thinking that if I do do the 4-2-1 split, that last night in BA of staying somewhere completely different, like Madero area or something for variety, but then again ArtSuites may be more apt to help out a little with a late check-out if I head back there for the final night. Hmmm, more decisions!

Definitely want to hit all the spots everyone has mentioned, though I think since I'm solo La Boca I may be better off on a guided tour?

avrooster I always try to do too much on vacations - always come home exhausted! Maybe in BA I will learn to relax a little :)

Percy Mar 30th, 2008 08:20 AM

Sorry!!, avrooster I was under the impression that you could be hired as a private guide .

Too bad, because you would be excellent...just by your postings and knowledge of Buenos Aires!!

( Boo Hoo for me ) :)

Percy

avrooster Mar 30th, 2008 02:40 PM

Well, Percy, it's a little more complicated than that.

Sometimes, I TRY to act as a guide, but I cannot be HIRED.

If you read my LONG "The REAL Buenos Aires" thread, you'll understand what I mean.

Percy Mar 30th, 2008 05:08 PM

Thanks avrooster ..I will have to read it.
Percy