Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   When to book airfare to Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/when-to-book-airfare-to-mexico-478348/)

pdxgirl Oct 4th, 2004 10:39 AM

When to book airfare to Mexico?

My husband and I are traveling from Portland, OR to Puerta Vallarta in February. It will be our first trip to Mexico. I am a little surprised at how expensive the flights are right now ($600+). Does any one know if there is a good chance these fares will go down in the next couple of months? I had hoped it would be less expensive to fly to Mexico than to Hawaii, but right now Mexico is more.

TC Oct 4th, 2004 11:05 AM

February is HIGH season in Mexico. It usually doesn't get cheaper - it gets more expensive - unless you can wait until the very, very last minute and hope for a fire sale or the like. I buy my February tickets for Mexico every year in July. That is the cheapest time period for standard airfare. If you go on charter flights, you may find a sale closer to your departure date but you run the risk of no tickets or more expensive. Its a toss up.

pdxgirl Oct 4th, 2004 11:35 AM

Yeah, I know it's high season. Duh. It's high season in Hawaii, too, but there are still deals to be had. Anyone out there from Portland who's gotten a cheaper airfare to PVR in February?

suze Oct 4th, 2004 12:25 PM

I have flown Seattle to PV ~15 times over the past 10 years all months between Nov and March. I usually give just about that, $600+/- on Alaska Air.

Possibly you can find cheaper thru a consolidator or a vacation package deal, but that's pretty standard for the regular airlines.

Mexico used to be cheaper than Hawaii, but not any more. Or not from my personal experience lately (last 2 years to Hawaii instead of Mexico).

pdxgirl Oct 4th, 2004 12:32 PM

Thanks, Suze, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I think I can get a flight for $575 on Alaska right now, so I guess I'd better jump on it!

suze Oct 4th, 2004 12:39 PM

You're welcome.

On Alaska look carefully at the routing. Sometimes (or at least from Seattle) I can get a non-stop for the same price. Usually you have to transfer planes either San Fran, LAX, or Phoenix even on what they term 'direct'. No big deal, but quicker and easier the few times I've gotten a nonstop flight.

amtw Oct 5th, 2004 03:26 AM

I was also suprised to see that it was more to fly to Mexico than Hawaii! I will be coming from Lexington KY this month. We paid around $1000/ticket through Expedia!! I have watched the rates go UP since we booked the trip in May, so I would definitely recommend booking your trip soon!

pdxgirl Oct 5th, 2004 08:30 AM

Wow, you guys are right! The flights I was considering yesterday went up today! But I was able to book on Alaska for $588, which is about the same as we pay to go to Hawaii in winter. From the online seating charts, these flights are nearly full already.

suze Oct 5th, 2004 09:40 AM

I thought after I posted- Alaska Air into Mexico flies relative small jets, compared to those megaliners various carriers use on their Hawaii routes. Maybe making the prices and availability differences make a bit more sense.

amtw Oct 5th, 2004 10:12 AM

I forgot to add-We're not flying Alaska Air. We are flying Continental. It had the best rate from Lexington. (We have more limited choices in Kentucky! :))

PONCHOTJ Oct 5th, 2004 02:18 PM

Just for future reference,many times you can buy a very invexpensive ticket to San Diego and from there take a flight out of Tijuana airport to any place in Mexico. Sometimes making this kind of connection does save you money. For residents of Mexico, traveling in February is very unusual and therefore there are good fares out of Tijuana.

TC Oct 6th, 2004 06:52 AM

"Yeah, I know it's high season. Duh. It's high season in Hawaii, too"

PDXGIRL: What a rude reply. You asked if anyone knew if there was a "good chance these fares will go down in the next couple of months", I gave you quite a civil, thoughtful response to your question -- and in the end you paid the $600 for your ticket so my reply was also correct. If you wished more information on specific flights, you need only ask. Your comments were crass and needless.

However, I hope you enjoy Mexico. It is a lovely country and the people are quite kind. Do try to be kind in return.

pdxgirl Oct 6th, 2004 08:46 AM

"February is HIGH season in Mexico." I read your responsse as assuming I am too stupid to know February is high season in Mexico. My response was intented to point out the condescending tone of your response in a lighthearted manner. It was not intended to be rude and I'm sorry you took it that way.

suze Oct 6th, 2004 09:26 AM

I'm afraid I'm with TC on this one. You said it was your first trip to Mexico, you said you were surprised at the rates, and you wondered if rates would go DOWN for a February trip. I think TC's answer was kind and concise.

As it happened I was able to answer your exact question from personal experience but quite honestly almost didn't reply because of your needlessly rude comment.

I don't mean to make a big deal, but as someone who has gotten priceless information for several years now (for Mexico, Hawaii, and Europe) from this BB... the nicer you are the more folks want to help you.

RobertSDF Oct 12th, 2004 01:45 PM

Great post suze--couln't agree more! The nicer you are, the more folks want to help!

fpt529 Oct 16th, 2004 04:44 PM

I just checked with Alaska Airlines (on line} and airfare from Portland, Or to PV is $497.15 round trip. That is with all taxes.

suze Oct 18th, 2004 06:42 AM

For February travel? Or right now?

TioGringo Oct 18th, 2004 08:48 PM

I'm heading down to PVR for Thanksgiving. Was *SHOCKED* at how high the fares were even from Houston (which is less than 2 hours by air). Since I can always snag $200 RT fares to Mexico City, I figured I could do around the same into Puerto Vallarta. No dice. I was getting $500-600 RT fares.

Screw that!

I booked a $200 RT ticket into Guadalajara and got a compact rental car for $129/week through National. For a family of 3, I'm saving about $1000 by being willing to drive a couple hours each way and deal with the nuisance factor. On the bright side, I've got the car if I want to do side trips during the week...

High fares to PVR. Harumph!

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com

DebbieAllen Oct 20th, 2004 05:39 PM

I travel to Mexico every November and have definitely seen prices go up considerably over the past few years. I fly from Seattle and always fly Alaska. Since I've gotten an Alaska credit card, I get a $50 companion fare each year. My husband and I watch ticket prices carefully starting in July; they usually go on sale in August/September. We buy a full price ticket (this year was $484), then use the companion coupon so the total cost per ticket is around $270. Then we use miles or coupons to upgrade to first class and consider ourselves very lucky to have managed to get a deal!

Yes, flights to Mexico are now comparable to flights to Hawaii. But in my experience, your money goes much further in Mexico, once you get there. Dining and lodging are less expensive than Hawaii, even at the luxury level.

Have a great trip!

PONCHOTJ Oct 21st, 2004 09:23 AM

AmericaWest is offering incredible fares to several cities in Mexico on the new routes out of San Diego, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Tickets need to be purchased soon. Check AmeriWest.com for deals.