Wheelchair accessability in Mexico

May 2nd, 2000, 02:06 PM
Bill Swenson

Wheelchair accessability in Mexico

I would like to know how accessable Puerto Vallarta is. Does anyone know whether there is wheelchair accessable transportation or tours available. Can you get around the resorts and town in a electric wheelchair. Can you get from the airport to the hotels.
If not are any of the other resort areas in Mexico accessable.
THANK YOU
Bill Swenson

May 3rd, 2000, 04:58 AM
Pancho

In general Mexico is not at all wheelchair friendly. It would be virtually imposible to get around on a an electric wheelchair. In Puerto Vallarta the curbs are very high and many of the downtown streets are cobblestone. This ir pretty well the situation anywhere in Mexico.

May 6th, 2000, 10:28 AM
elena

Hola Bill!
I would like to say that Pancho is not being very generous with his comments. I have had friends in wheelchairs as guests in PV and with a little effort and imagination, we have strolled the malecon(boardwalk,sort of). My friends stayed at Paradise Village and were very happy. I will be happy to do a follow-up if you would like more information.
Hope to see you in PV... It can be done.

May 6th, 2000, 10:46 PM
Pancho

It was not my intention to be generous with my comments. I am strictly telling it the way it is. The fact of the matter is that Puerto Vallarta, like other cities in Mexico are very difficult to get around in with a wheel chair. To begin with the curbs are generally very high with no wheelchair access. The sidewalks are often broken or have other obstacles such as holes etc. You are doing a disservice to somebody that depends on a wheelchair for transporation by misleading them.

May 8th, 2000, 10:59 AM
elena

Hola Bill and Pancho,
I an not in the business of misleading people. I just think that you have exaggerated in your description of wheelchair friendliness and also, you have generalized to include all of Mexico. I have seen wheelchairs at most hotels and restaurants. I have seen wheelchairs in airport transportation, so I gather that it can be done. I realize that Vallarta's charming cobblestoned streets are quite an obstacle, but for a stroll in the malecon, I see no hassle.
Anyway, I apologize if you think that I am misleading.
Have a wonderful day Bill and Pancho!

May 8th, 2000, 05:43 PM
PT

Yes, it is true that it is difficult to manage a wheelchair on the cobblestone streets, BUT it can be done, as there are many stretches (the boardwalk) that have lots of space for everyone and they are smooth! There are numerous hotels in Vallarta that have special, wheelchair access rooms, in addition, with ramps to restaurants, etc. True, there are some restaurants that you must access via stairs, but many, many that are not! You will also find the people here EXTREMELY friendly, eager to assist, so there should be no trouble! I hope you come on down here! PT