Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What's going on with the US$ in So.America?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:51 AM
Yuri

News has it that that the brazil real has plummeted.<BR>Also, they have it that in Peru they have closed the banks till Friday to stall heavy devaluation?<BR>Anybody have info. on what's going on, and how this will benefit our travel plans?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:54 AM
Hilda

Yuri when I went to Brazil in 2001 (April) I got 2.00 reales for 1 Usd. I looked today and it is now at 3.25 reales for 1 usd. I would get down to Brazil as fast as you can. It is a great affordable place. Take an empty suitcase and go shopping. You will not believe what you can buy. Forget Europe SA is where you get more bang for your buck right now.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:17 PM
Surlok

If you're really interesting in what is going on, economically speaking, in Brazil, there is a very good article on Financial Times at:<BR><BR>http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1028039808489&p=1012571727 102<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:18 PM
Surlok

Ooops, I meant "interested".

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:47 PM
Yuri

Hi Surlock:<BR><BR>I thought you were gone from Fodors. It's been a long time no hear...<BR><BR>Yes, it's the economic side of what's going on that's interested me. So many SA countries are gone crazy. Brazil, Argentina, Peru, etc. etc.<BR><BR>Why have you dropped from the board?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:19 PM
Surlok

Hi, Yuri!<BR><BR>Well, I've not using the board for many reasons, among them lack of free time, and then a long trip to Europe.<BR><BR>Also, not many people are interested in Brazil, or Rio, so I though I should let the board have a little break of my presence. ;^)<BR><BR>Anyway, back here I am, as eager as always to respond any questions about S. America, Brazil and Rio to which I might know the answer.<BR><BR>Kind regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:22 PM
Surlok

Ooops, bad English again ( see, lack of practice!). I meant "I've not used .... Sorry.