Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   What to wear at Royal Hideaway (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/what-to-wear-at-royal-hideaway-279956/)

Betsy Dec 16th, 2002 03:12 PM

What to wear at Royal Hideaway

We are considering Royal Hideaways for our honeymoon in June 2003. Everyone has had all great things to say about it. A couple of questions, I have looked at all the pics on line and it seems to formal, I just want to be sure that it's not a real dressy place? Also what is the average age range there, we are 30 and don't want kids but also don't want all blue haired people!! hehehe sorry but that's how we feel!! Any help is appreciated!

Idon'tthinkso Dec 17th, 2002 08:21 AM

Kate, you are totally full of BS! The Royal Hideaway is a great place to go. They are lovely rooms, perfect service, and the best food around. The dress is casual but not sloppy. No jeans at dinner. No ties! You will love it. Kate does not know what she is talking about.

sunny Dec 17th, 2002 12:17 PM

I totaly agree with Idon'tthinkso Kate. You are full of BS! We Englishare not "stuffy" We just don't like the rest of the complex to share our conversations. And as for the "free" tours, manicures, pedicures, massages and transfers you just haven't the sense to see that you have already paid for them in the price of your holiday. Grow up girl. You don't get anything for nothing in this world.

RM Dec 17th, 2002 01:23 PM

Be advised that Palace Resorts are generally the most aggressive at pushing timeshare sales.

Jaime Dec 19th, 2002 05:39 AM

I also agree with "Idon'tthinkso". My husband and I went to the RH this past October for our anniversary, and we're already planning to go back next year. I was also concerned that the guests would be either old or stuffy, but that definitely wasn't the case when we were there! There were a lot of honeymooners, as well as some older couples, but it wasn't at all stuffy. It was quiet, though - we met other people, but if we had wanted to stay to ourselves, we could easily have done that as well. There were a few activities scheduled each day, including pool activities, but there was no pressure to join. Personally, I enjoyed this approach much better than some of the other places I've been, where you wind up returning home more tired than when you started your vacation!

M.E. Dec 31st, 2002 07:24 AM

We just got back from the RH and were not disappointed by anything we experienced there. All fabulous. As far as the other guests, they ranged in age from mid-20's on up, not many small children. It's not formal at all, just classy. Who wants to look at someone in a tank top and shorts when you're eating a lovely dinner in a romantic setting? Guys wear collared shirts and slacks, girls can dress up or just wear a nice casual outfit, your choice. Things to do if you want, or if you just want to lie on the beach and relax no one bothers you. If you are honeymooners, I would think you'd like your private time!

john Jan 2nd, 2003 03:19 PM

The RH is more stuffy than most of the other resorts in the area. There are some others that are just as nice, and LOTS more fun. Sure it has great rooms, but how much time are you going to actually spend in your room. And the view from the rooms isn't that great. (very few ocean view rooms) The pool area and beach are average at best. If you want great rooms, service and food this is your place. But if you want great fun, service and beach then there are better choices in Playa.... hint the RIU Palace

LIZ Jan 2nd, 2003 07:14 PM

We've been to the Royal Hideaway and the Riu Palace (and others but these were the best!)...<BR><BR>We found neither resorts to be stuffy and the photos online are deceiving, it's just sort of casual dressy...Most of the men just wear Docker-type slacks and shirts with collars....Women wear anything except VERY casual, shorts &amp; tees for example...<BR><BR>During our stay at RH, I'd say the average range was 30ish, lots of honeymooners...Also, mature couples, like ourselves...But we don't consider ourselves old, just age challenged!!..We're still fun-loving and had a lot of good times with some younger couples we met!..<BR><BR>But, for the money, you might consider the Riu Palace...If we go to RH, we can only do one trip a year...Going to RP gets us 2 trips a year...That's our deciding factor!!!<BR><BR>Have fun wherever you go... LIZ

Betsy Jan 3rd, 2003 03:53 AM

Liz,<BR>I have looked on-line for the Riu Palace but it doesn't give a whole lot of info is this place brand new? I will consider other places especially if they are more reasonable and in the same ballpark quality wise. Any info would help, oh and also is the Riu Palace a family resort?? we would like to stay away from those with this trip being our honeymoon!! <BR>Thanks

Karen Jan 3rd, 2003 12:53 PM

Let me throw in a suggestion. We stayed at the RH and Villa Rolandi just recently over Christmas. Although I liked RH, after staying at Villa Rolandi I think that it would be a better Honeymoon location. It includes continental breakfast delivered to your room and 3 course dinner, excluding tips for dinner. The service was outstanding, the food gourmet and the rooms fantastic with a double steam shower. There are only 20 rooms all with hot tubs on your patio or balcony and all ocean view. For the money I would go to Villa Rolandi. To my mind, there's no comparison. Take a look at their website below and if you have any questions, let me know. The only negative is the beach is small but it's all yours.<BR><BR>http://www.villarolandi.com/<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Karen Jan 3rd, 2003 05:44 PM

Here's another small intimate hotel (36 rooms) that's quite pricey but in June not quite so bad. The reports on the message board had been quite good on it. They do have a Romance Package that might work for you. Do a search with the hotel name and pull up the comments.<BR><BR>http://www.maroma-mexico.com/hotel.htm<BR><BR><BR><BR>

LIZ Jan 3rd, 2003 08:34 PM

Betsy...<BR><BR>The Riu Palace has been open a few years, maybe 1999...Check their web site Riu.com...<BR><BR>It's not an adults-only but there were very few children each time we were there...They have no children's activies and there are 3 other Riu resorts in Playacar that are more family-type and less expensive....<BR><BR>There's usually lots of info on the PlayaGuide board...If you're interested, e-mail me and I'll send you the urls of my May trip report...

alison Jan 4th, 2003 02:48 PM

My husband and I got married in October at the Aventura Spa Palace where we stayed for a week and then spent an additional week at the Royal Hideaway. We enjoyed the Palace resort a lot as did all of our guests. For an all inclusive, the food was fine (not spectacular) but service, activities, pool area, etc were great. <BR>However, the RH was phenomenal!! Not as much activity but the beach was great, the food was exceptional and the service was unsurpassed. I highly reccomend it! Relaxing and beautiful and not too formal. Go for it!

hiede Jan 5th, 2003 11:39 AM

Alison, How is the beach at RH? Is this really and adult only resort? My husband and I are looking into going there for our 20th anniv. in July and would really like adult only, especially since the summer months are more likely to be kid filled!