What to pack for trip to CR in Jan????

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to pack for trip to CR in Jan????

Hi
We will be going to CR Dec 29-Jan 10. This is our 1st trip (YAY!) and we will be going to Monteverde, Arenal, Quepos/Manuel Antonio and a few points in between. Need advice on clothing and necessary items to take. I know temps will be ~80 on the beach and cooler/wetter in the rainforest. All advice greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:46 AM

A lot has been posted on this subject, so you might want to do a search.

For clothing, people seem to be somewhat divided into two camps, those who prefer cotton, and those that prefer cool-max type material. I fall into the latter category because I spend a lot of time in the outdoors hiking, etc., and like the quick-drying ability of the newer material. I have rather a knack for getting caught in rainstorms! Also, we were able to pack lighter with the cool-max type, and it eventually dried when we hand-washed, even on the Osa. I'm not certain that it's any more breathable or comfortable, though if you tend to work up a real sweat, the cool-max might be better. Really a matter of preference.There is material that combines the two materials - the best of both worlds?

I think that the time of year you're visiting is a factor. We visited CR in the green, or rainy season, whereas you should have drier weather.

My husband and I packed a few cool-max t-shirts shirts and a longer button-up type or two for cooler temps.We each packed quick-dry, zip-off pants. We also each packed light fleece tops, which we really needed in the cloud forest and Arenal. I packed a light sundress.

We very much not regretted not packing gortex jackets and boots, but many are perfectly content with light windbreakers, rainjackets or ponchos. We used our cheap ponchos to sit on in boats when it rained!

We considered our small umbrellas, binoculars and flashlights with extra batteries essential. Also, a Spanish dictionary {Lonely Planet puts out a good one}.

You will love Costa Rica!

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I had planned on packing many of the items that you mentioned esp the cool max stuff. It's great. I wasn't too sure about other stuff to wear while hanging out, dining, etc, when not doing the active stuff. I wanted to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything major. Yep, we've got the Spanish dictionary already!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:33 AM

Hi again kthym, I found that I wore my bathing suit a lot during the day at the beach areas. I forgot to mention that I also packed quick-drying gym-shorts to wear over my suit. I also bought a beautiful wrap skirt in CR - I know it has a name, but I'm having a senior moment!}, and wore this either over my suit or with a t-shirt on several occasions in the evening.

We packed cheap flip-flops, which we found very convenient to wear around our lodges and as "slippers" in our rooms. We also packed teva-type sandels, but you might get by without them. We would have prefered to wear them a lot more than we did, but wanted the protection of socks and shoes, especially with poisonous creatures around {we didn't in fact see many!}.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:46 AM

It was cool and wet in Montverde when we were there this past January--no big surprise. I was fine in my hiking shorts, but Mrs. Fly found it a bit too cool and wore long pants.

I layered a short-sleeve T-shirt, a light weight long sleeve pullover, and a light waterproof jacket. Mrs. Fly also layered, and she wore her light weight polarfleece jacket.

A hood on your jacket and a broad-brimmed hat are very helpful. Light to medium gortex hiking boots were fine as long as they had aggressive soles for walking over muddy spots, wet leaves, etc.

I second the notion on a good quality pocket flashlight--we had MagLites and they worked great. Very useful to be able to vary the beam width/intensity. Used them every night we were in CR. A good pair of pocket binoculars are essential--the animals aren't always right at your feet. Also, our new digital camera was great--we could take photos with it through our guides' spotting telescopes, and no worries about film. Each night, we plugged the camera into the TV set and deleted photos that we didn't like, and enjoyed going over the day's activities.

Arenal was much warmer--shorts and short sleeve shirts all the way. The hiking boots were still necessary in the forest. We were glad to have air conditioning in our room when we returned from a viqorous hike.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:31 AM

What do you HAVE to have?

t-shirts/tanks and shorts
light jacket
swimsuit,cover-up or gym shorts
tennis shoes, flip flops
underwear, socks
sunscreen, repellent, etc. toiletries

Optional: hat, hiking clothes/shoes, rain gear, skirt/sundress/capris, etc.

Agree flashlight very handly as are small and large ziplocs.

Keep it simple!

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:39 PM

I, too, encourage a search here which will unveil several threads w/answers - - - However, I must suggest that a person bring a English/Spanish <b>phrasebook</b> instead of a dictionary <i>unless&lt;i/&gt; you are a Spanish speaker searching for terms.

If a person doesn't speak Spanish, flipping through a book to concoct a sentence in Spanish will be quite frustrating to everyone involved in the exchange. Having phrases is far more useful.

If you are a traveler with special needs, you can research online, or at a local university, (but not HomeDepot) the sentences which will work best for you in CR. For examples, if you are diabetic and have special dietary needs and wish to convey these in a restaurant. Or, if you are a contact lens wearer (bingo!) and suddenly find yourself in need of supplies (even though the spares we brought were damaged) and things of this nature.

- - - buen viaje!</i>
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:08 PM

TripleSecDelay, I got a chuckle out of your reference to contact lense wearers in search of supplies! That was exactly my situation last summer; I found myself in San Jose {luckily} with an empty bottle of contact solution {it leaked} and limited Spanish!

My Lonely Planet Costa Rica Spanish Phrasebook {not just a dictionary, actually} does include many useful phrases [excellent point!}, but I couldn't find one that helped me to communicate exactly what I needed. Finally, after some close-but-no-cigar attempts at Spanish {we did get the clerk to bring over some Visine}, a gentleman arrived who was able to interpret. Whew!

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:17 PM

Some of my worst Spanish phrases came out under pressure...

&quot;Agua de sal para ojos.&quot; was all I could mutter at the time.

I could not for the life of me think of the word &quot;lentas&quot; in the mercado. I found a security guard who directed me to an optometrist in the mall. Needless to say, his English was better than my Spanish.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM

Don't feel too bad ,TripleSec, I'm sure my attempts at Spanish were more awkward. I'm frightened to think what I ended up saying to people!
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:02 PM

Molly,
in some places they call the skirt wrap arounds &quot;pareos&quot; (par-eh-oh) Don't know about CR
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 04:02 AM

First time we were there, I told a waiter I loved him. I forget exactly what it was I meant to say, but it wasn't that!
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 08:09 AM

plmrod, &quot;pareo&quot; sounds right. Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Shillmac - not such a bad thing. We need more in this world. ;-)
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 08:30 PM

Well, he smiled anyway. At least to my face. . . .
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Just because your spanish is not great don't hesitate to try it. It is the best place in the world to practice it and the people are very patient. Probably because they are struggling just as hard to learn our english.