Search

What to do in these ports?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 04:36 AM
johnmark

What to do in these ports?

Taking Celebrity Cruises 14-night in February, but they mention no shore excursions at their website--any suggestions for activities at these ports of call? Rio should be NO problem as we will be calling there for Carnevale!!!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 04:37 AM
johnmark

OOPS!! Here are the ports: Montevideo in Uruguay and Florianoplis, Santo, Rio de Janeiro, Buzios and Ilhabela in Brazil

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 03:43 AM
connie

Wow, no replies...well here goes. My husband and I spent 3 months in Montevideo in 2000. on Saturday afternoon you MUST go to the indoor grill in the old part of the down town. It's massive and crowded with locals. Excellent eating. Share a bottle of "Medio y Medio" while you wait for a seat. I suggest sitting at the bar/counter rather than a table to fully enjoy the experience. The building is an old train station imported from England. <BR> You can work up your appetite by strolling thru the fleamarket located in one of the town squares. There is an "old" city and "new" city. There are Tango dancers and many monuments and loads to see while walking on (sp) Ave de Julio. All in all a very beautiful place to visit and I hope you will be there long enough to enjoy.<BR> all it has to offer.<BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Connie

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 05:12 AM
Merriem

Did you check the Celebrity website? They have a list of all tours offered. We usually go on our own, but in Montevideo we went out to a ranch and spent the whole day. It was lovely and was well worth the $100 per person. You might look into what they offer, because this was one tour that was worth the money.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 09:07 AM
alex

I will be cruising Amazon in Decemver and am supposed to get vaccination for yellow fever (was told by cruise company). Are you getting it too? Where do you do it and what is the $$ ? First the Brazilian visa, now this vaccination - it is really changing the cost of th entire cruise substentially.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 09:30 AM
alex

I will be cruising Amazon in Decemver and am supposed to get vaccination for yellow fever (was told by cruise company). Are you getting it too? Where do you do it and what is the $$ ? First the Brazilian visa, now this vaccination - it is really changing the cost of th entire cruise substentially.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:20 PM
Enrique Enrich

While in Montevideo take a day trip to Colonia, it is on the Coast to the west side. You can rent a car or simply taking a bus (Buses there are excellent - startying by the Montevideo Bus Staion). When getting there you can rent a bike. The city has a heavy load of history, monuments and so on. Founded by the Portuguese it has changed of hands a lot: Spaniards, Brazilians, Argentineans, Portuguese and finally Uruguayans. A place for great pictures!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:48 PM
MN

Hi John,<BR><BR>You may want to double check Celebrity's website. I am also going on a 14 day cruise from Argentina in Feb to several points in Brazil and a stop in Uruguay. The excursions are on the website. Have fun!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 01:49 AM
Barbara

I found out that tours offered by Cerebrity Cruise are far too expensive. An acquaitance of mine who cruised from BA to Santiago told me that the city tour scheduled to last 6 hours took only 3.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Cintia

Hello, I can help you on a tour when you are in Buenos Aires.<BR>I have had several passengers from Celebrity as well as Marco Polo and as most of them can only stay in the city for a short time, I plan special city tours which include as many spots as possible.<BR>For you to have an idea, a typical city tour should include the following: PLaza de Mayo (President´s House, Cabildo, Cathedral), San Telmo, La Boca, downtown, Puerto Madero, Recoleta (including Recoleta cemetery), Palermo.<BR>This is the standard city tour you can get anywhere that takes around three hours. <BR>I will contact a couple I assisted a couple of weeks ago and ask them which other tours they took at the other ports of call.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:11 PM
M. Carlson

We will be taking a South America Norwegian Cruise the end of January. We booked a Iguazu Falls Tour with [email protected] for about 1/3 the price that Norwegian Cruise tour will be. This tour agent is in Florida. Although we detailed exactly what we wanted, it took several calls and <BR>e-mails before we could finalize the arrangements. I would like to get the names of some reliable tour agents for the following South America cities:<BR>Montevideo, Uruguay; Puerto Madryn, Argentina; Port Stanley, Falkland Island; Ushuaia, Argentina; Punta Arenas, Chile; Puerto Chacabuco, Chile; Puerto Montt, Chile. Also if you would have some recommendations on what to see in these ports, I would greatly appreciated those comments.