Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   what to do in rio when it rains (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/what-to-do-in-rio-when-it-rains-278480/)

r Dec 9th, 2002 09:10 AM

what to do in rio when it rains

We are in rio right now and it looks like it is going to rain for the next 6 days non-stop, any suggestions.

BOBBY Dec 10th, 2002 02:14 AM

Good morning, I am in Rio too. Come by my office and say hello. Rua Xaviera da Silveira, 15 B, Copacabana. What you do in Rio when it rains is make love more. Go to all the shopping centers, Barra and Rio Sul. There are many more to see as well. Go see the museum's, churches , and maybe catch a movie.<BR><BR>Have fun,<BR><BR>Bobby

Don Dec 10th, 2002 07:02 AM

Good question R, I will tell you what not to do and that is take a taxi to the airport on a rainy day during the week. I left Rio on 12/9 the exact day that you are asking this question and I sat in the taxi for over an hour in traffic in Lagoa which is right outside of Copacabana not even close to the airport. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport during the week because of rush hour, on the weekend maybe not so bad.

John Dec 10th, 2002 08:27 AM

I would catch a flight north to Bahia or somewhere.

Alex Jan 6th, 2003 07:13 AM

Hi;<BR>I live in Curitiba..it rains here a lot too...This is a great time to GO NORTH... Maceio and the beaches up to Fortaleza!! GET OUT OF RIO!!!

Bill Jan 6th, 2003 07:25 AM

1) Go to the Gavea race track over by the Lagoa. You can be outside, under cover, and watch the horses run around in the slop. Pay 10 reals for a taxi from Copacabana.<BR><BR>2) Go to the Hard Rock Cafe in Barra de Tijuca. Thirty reals by taxi or free shuttle bus from the beach hotels. Also, shopping in Barra.<BR><BR>3) The forecast will change.<BR><BR>4) Go to Buenos Aires.<BR>

Carioca Jan 6th, 2003 07:41 AM

Alex and Bill, great answers, like this guy is still in Rio in the rain. The Hard Rock Cafe? Pluueeeeeze.

Bill Jan 6th, 2003 08:24 AM

Yes, the Hard Rock Cafe. It's a nice one. A Carioca might look down his nose at it, but I enjoy visiting them. I travel solo, and sometimes get homesick or just worn down by having to deal with different cultures and language. Go to a Hard Rock anywhere and I know what to expect on the menu, the employees will speak English, and I get a nice shirt to bring home.<BR>It can be a refreshing break from the foreign. I'll bet that you would seek out a Brazilian place if you were in Tokyo.<BR>Like in Osaka, on Thanksgiving Day, they had the traditional U.S. meal of turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. And they played Paul Simon's &quot;You Can Call Me Al&quot; (&quot;he was a foreign man, he was surrounded ...&quot;). Like in Beijing, chatting with a South African businessman. Or London, Paris, Berlin, Tel Aviv, Buenos Aires, Los Angeles, etc.<BR>Not a Carioca thing, but an international travel thing.<BR><BR>