Reload this Page >

What to do in Playa del Carmen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 11:39 AM
johnb

We're staying at the Shangrila Caribe just outside Play del Carmen (for a honeymoon). Thought we'd snorkel a little, lie on the beach and visit Tulum. Any other suggestions - restaurants, shops, best guide books, etc?

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 02:12 PM
merriem

We were at the Royal Hideaway for a week,a 30 minute walk from Playa del Carmen. I stayed at the resort the whole time, and just enjoyed! My husband walked into town one day, and said I didn't miss much. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 06:23 AM
Nina

Johnb: depends on what you want to do, see the sights or just veg. As to the previous posting, yes, Playa del Carmen is just another town during the day, but at night it comes to life. It would be worth your while to take a taxi one evening and just walk the strip, lots of vendors come out, and it was just interesting to sit at a cafe for a drink and people watch. One evening in the core, there was a mexician band playing, it was packed with people. Don't forget to take the ferry to Cozumel, this was the highlight of our trip, stayed the whole day, rented mopeds and toured the island, would stop at various beaches and go snorkeling. Ended up coming back on the last ferry, had a great seafood dinner in Cozumel, it was wonderful. We also went to Tulum, it was very interesting, but I found it does not compare to Chichen Itza which was just amazing!! There's also Xcaret that you can spend the whole day at. <BR>Enjoy your trip, there's so much to see and do.

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 02:48 PM
hector

While in Playa del Carmen, eat at a restaurant named 'El Chino'. Great food and good prices, very friendly and clean. Try the shrimp cocktial. It'll be two or three blocks from the beach.

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 04:55 AM
dan woodlief

Definitely try to get to the ruins at Chichen Itza. Tulum is in a spectacular location, but the ruins do not compare at all to those at the big sites farther inland. Coba is another good site for ruins and is quite a bit closer than Chichen Itza. This was a large Mayan city that is now still largely unrestored. There is a very high pyramid there to climb, and the whole site is surrounded by jungle (take mosquito repellent). It is about 45 minutes inland from Tulum (less than two hours total from Playa), and the best way to go is car or take a bus to Tulum Ruinas station and hire a cab for a few hours (very inexpensive - about $35 for trip and two hours at Coba). <BR> <BR>Do go to Cozumel for a day. There are parts of the island where you can have your own beach, with nobody else around as far as you can see. <BR> <BR>Haven't been to Xcaret, but Xel-Ha is a lot of fun for a day of snorkeling, rafting, and other activities. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 11:35 AM
Bernadette

John--If you are wanting to just relax and not do anything, then just stay at your resort. But I definitely think that you wouldn't get half the experience of PDC if you were to do that. I disagree wholly with the poster who stated that the strip wasn't worth it. It is amazing--relaxed and fun at the same time. You get to talk to locals and travellers. Many Europeans travel there, so it's great to compare lives and experiences with them. <BR>I would pass on Xel-Ha and XCaret if you don't want to spend at least $20 per person doing the same things that you would do at the beach. I also would go to Chichen Itza--it's amazing. Climb the castle because this is the last year that they will be allowing people to climb it. Don't take a tour--they just waste your time by taking you to shops. If I were you, I'd find a really nice cabdriver who will take you there for $30, or take a bus there. The bus is cheapest and there's AC and comfortable seating. Don't miss out on the Argentinian restaurant on the strip. It's got great food. There's also a really fun club on the strip called Capitan Tutix. Fun! <BR>

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 10:36 AM
judi

Please write me or post here some feedback on the Shangri-La Hotel when you return from your trip. Information on the non all-inclusive hotel in PDC has been hard to find. I am also intersted in what you thought of Las Palapas and El Faro Hotels nearby. Also, how was the snorkeling at your hotel and were beach lounges provided? <BR>Have a great trip and thank you for any information