Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > What to do in Oaxaca / Huatulco as a solo traveler and Transportation
Notices

What to do in Oaxaca / Huatulco as a solo traveler and Transportation

Jun 14th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

What to do in Oaxaca / Huatulco as a solo traveler and Transportation

I am flying to Oaxaca at the end of July. Will be there for business from Wednesday July 24 to Friday evening July 28. Then I am on my own from Saturday to my plane leaves Oaxaca Wednesday evening July 31. A little about me: I love water, sun and night life but am flexible in my early 40's single and a solo traveler.

As a solo traveler, I am debating on what to do?
1. Oaxaca - Should I stay but where and what can I do for 4 days/nights? How is the weather?
2. Huatulco - where should I stay, what can I do for 4 days/nights? I looked into flying but AeroTucan is requiring I purchase 2 seats as I weigh 106 Kg. So do I rent a car as I do not mind driving or take a bus? How is the weather?
3. Any other ideas as this is my first time to Oaxaca but am familiar with Mexico.

Thanks!
Jun 14th, 2013, 06:49 PM

The drive from Oaxaca to Huatulco (or anywhere along the coast) is described by people who have done it as treacherous, nauseating, harrowing, etc. Someone whom I met while traveling in Mexico had recently made the trip and said it was the worst experience of his life. I wouldn't do it, either by car or bus. Over four hours of switchback roads through the mountains. I've been to Oaxaca. There are lots of excursions to nearby ruins and Indian villages that are worth doing. If you're willing to take a (pleasant) four hour bus ride, Puebla is a great city with lots of colonial architecture, museums, and great food.

Search this Thread