What to do for a day in Cozumel?

Nov 5th, 1999, 02:53 PM
kpinn

What to do for a day in Cozumel?

Hi: We will be doing a port call at Cozumel. What should we make sure we see? Anything we should miss! Thanks for any and all help. Karen

Nov 6th, 1999, 11:43 AM
Karen

On my cruise stop at Cozumel, the cruise director convinced us that this was going to be the best port to shop. I'm sorry I listened to him! I was very disappointed with the shopping - everything in US dollars, and merchandise just like I was shopping at home. When I am in a foreign country I like to enjoy the culture & flavor of the country, not be made to "feel at home".
We eventually hopped in a cab and headed south to a beach. I don't recall the name, but there was a little zoo & some gift shops at the beach. I am going back again this winter and plan to avoid town all together and explore some new beaches & hopefully snorkel. Beware of the cruise-organized trips: I thought most of them were rip-offs. You can do your own thing much cheaper and make better use of the time available.

Nov 6th, 1999, 01:02 PM
Louie

To Kpinn,

My wife and I spent eight days in Cozumel in March of this year. We would recommend going to Chankanaab Park for a relaxing day. You can watch a very nice dolphin show, and enjoy some of the best snorkling right there!! Also, there is a restaurant and bar to enjoy. If you stay till the evening you should go to two places for night life. One is Carlos N Charlies and the other is Fat Tuesdays both are alot of fun and within walking distance of most cruise ships. We also found
the shopping to be too expensive, but if you look long enough you could find some deals. Have fun !!!!!!!!!!

Nov 6th, 1999, 02:36 PM
Eleanor Snedden

Hi Kpinn. We were in Cozumel for a week in Feb/99 and just loved it. We rented a car and drove around the island but the nicest part is the West coast. The East coast is very rugged and littered with trash coming in from the Atlantic. I highly recommend Park Chakanaab as Louie has mentioned. For $7 U.S., you can lounge on the beach and snorkel in very clear water and swim with lots of fish. There is snorkel equipment there to rent. I am a scuba diver, if you dive, Cozumel has the nicest water and coral anywhere. I would highly recommend a dive you if you are certified. The island itself is not as picturesque as Puerto Vallarta, but the water, swimming, food is all excellent. I agree with everyone else, the shopping is overpriced and I came home with no souveniers.

Search this Thread