Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   What's January like in Puerto Vallarta? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/whats-january-like-in-puerto-vallarta-431657/)

cecilia99 May 14th, 2004 07:36 AM

What's January like in Puerto Vallarta?

Planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta in January. Since I'm coming from New York,I'm seeking for a warm weather where I can relax on the beach. But I hear it's in the mid 60s in January. Is it true? If it is, what other places should I try? Cancun, Acapulco, or Ixtapa any better?

suze May 14th, 2004 07:48 AM

Where did you hear mid-60's? Fortunately that's not true! Check any of the PV vacation website; they all have weather charts. The one I just looked at showed January as 77-79F. I've been to PV 15 times, in all the months between November thru April and never seen it as cold as 60 degrees. I have never worn anything warmer than shorts and a t-shirt. Personally I much prefer PV to the other Mexican destinations you mentioned. It's an authentic town, charming, a good mix of tourist infrastructure and normal life. Cancun and Ixtapa were both "built" by the government to bring in tourist dollars. I'm not familiar with Acapulco.

suze May 14th, 2004 08:19 AM

www.vallarta-info.com
www.vallartaonline.com
www.puertovallarta.net

Dori May 14th, 2004 08:26 AM

Well Suze you must not have been there the January I was there (I believe it was January of 1999). It was pretty nice during the day, but it still had a cool, not warm, breeze off of the ocean. At night, forget it. It got extremely chilly/cold. I didn't pack for that. The locals said this was unusually cold and that they never felt this cold before! Personally, I will never go back again in January after that. But then again, remember it was unusual weather.

loangalsal May 14th, 2004 12:04 PM

I have been go PV every January for the last 10 years in a row. It is hot during the day, certainly excellent beach weather! I always bring a light sweater for evenings, and only need it about every 4 years or so depending on the weather. I always pack some sundresses for evenings in town along with some long lightweight pants, and mostly wear the dresses. Don't worry, January is an excellent time to go to PV, the weather is great!

suze May 14th, 2004 04:14 PM

Didn't mean to imply something unusual can't happen with the weather in PV or anywhere else in the world. And (for Dori) actually I was there early December 1998 and it was gorgeous.

If the weather turned unexpected I'd buy a sweatshirt and carry on.

poopface May 29th, 2004 04:47 AM

Agree with Suze -- have been in PV for the past 22 Januaries. Needed a light jacket twice -- in the evening around 9:00 or so, sitting in a restaurant ON the beach. Once we moved from the beach into the more central part of the city, it was quite warm.