Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   What rental car agencies are "right outside of" the Hampton Inn? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/what-rental-car-agencies-are-right-outside-of-the-hampton-inn-570315/)

missypie Nov 11th, 2005 09:12 AM

What rental car agencies are "right outside of" the Hampton Inn?

When I was wondering where to spend the night after a late flight into SJO, several people recommended the Hampton Inn. One of the big selling points was that there are rental car agencies in walking distance so we could just walk over and get the car in the morning.

How do I figure out which ones they are?

marknrachael Nov 11th, 2005 12:06 PM

I know there is:
Thrifty
Toyota Rental Car
Economy (avoid like the plague!!)
(see my post BEWARE -Economy Rental Car)
And one more I've never heard of: Pial or Diat or Piel or something??

The folks at Toyota Rental car were good to me.

glover Nov 11th, 2005 12:35 PM

I believe Elegante (which might be relatd to Payless) was right behind the Hampton Inn as well. We rented from them a couple years ago and they were fine. Was the recommended rental agent of our travel agent.

julylee Nov 14th, 2005 08:28 AM

Advanti also has a car rental at the Hampton Inn and comes highly recommended. Ask for Norma (excellent english) 866-342-5774. She can also have someone waiting at the airport to pick you up and take you to the car.

shillmac Nov 14th, 2005 02:15 PM

You'll find tricolor on that strip of road as well (behind the Hampton traveling toward Heredia). We've never been able to beat their prices. And have been pleased with the service.

shillmac Nov 14th, 2005 02:16 PM

By the way, most of these agencies are pretty much right together, but we walked from the Rosti Pollo Restaurant right there by the Hampton to Tricolor last year. Took about 5 minutes.

Melissa5 Nov 14th, 2005 11:30 PM

We used Tricolor, and they were very good, living up to all their promises. They are close to the Hampton Inn. Also Tricolor will pick you up from your hotel if you need a ride to Tricolor. Tricolor will also drop you off to your hotel after you return your rental car. (No added charge.)

We didn't stay in the Hampton Inn. From the outside it looked nice and modern. However we preferrred to stay somewhere less generic, more "Costa Rican". Therefore we stayed at Hotel Villa Bonita, www.hotelvillabonita.com Gosh I hope that's the right web-site, don't have my notes handy. Anyway the rooms are very basic and clean, but we really liked their breakfast which included the typical costa rican beans-n-rice dish, plus other items, and good coffee. Cute small garden. (Very small garden.) $47 for a double. We were only there 1 night upon arrival.

I think Hampton Inn would be fine but we didn't stay there. We liked HOTel Villa Bonita. We also liked a hotel that is further from the ariport in Heredia called Hotel Bougainvillea for our last night in costa Rica... fantastic garden there, $80 per room!

Have fun.

Can't actually remember if Hampton Inn was walking distance to Tricolor, but it was certainly very close, and anyway as I said Tricolor will pick you up if you need a ride.