Notices

What part of the island to stay on..ambergris caye?

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What part of the island to stay on..ambergris caye?

I thought I posted last night, but it didn't get through. I am arriving at the airport on the caye and will be on Ambergris for 2-3 days. Sept. 8th.

any hotel recommentations? My husband and I want somewhere NOT touristy, on a beach, our own bathroom and a/c. No pool needed. We love a good deal. We will have no transporation when we arrive since cars are not allowed. We may rent a cart if the price is right.

Thanks!
Courtney
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Oh, forgot to mention. We really want to see the real Belize. So staying somewhere with a thatch roof or a place that feels more local and friendly would be great (nothing that feels like a big resort)..for under $100 a night if possible.

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM

You might have a difficult time finding a place on the beach for under $100 but it doesn't hurt to try.

If you stay too far from San Pedro, you'll walk and walk just to get a meal, water or groceries. Also you will need to use the hand-pulled ferry if you get too far out. Kinda fun at first but it takes time and the cost can add up. You can also get around by water ferry.

When we were there about five years ago, golf carts rented for around $60-70 for a half day. Most are electric so you just get a few hours before they start to run down. There are cars on Ambergris, but I don't know about rentals.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 03:46 AM

The hand pulled ferry is long gone. Replaced by a bridge. Still no car traffic allowed north of the bridge though.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Our favorite: www.journeysendresort.com

Have fun!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Journeysend looks lovely. Would be a great place for our 'splurge' nights. (going cheap and backpacking other nights)

Where is it located on the caye? I don't see that on the website. Will print it out and bring along in my folder for sure!

Courtney
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:25 AM

We spent ten days at Journey's End -it's a few miles north of town, so you'd need a bike or cart or you'll have to take the water taxi. They were great about letting us jump on the staff boat that ran to town at shift change in the afternoon, then we just got the water taxi back. We had all these great plans to go to the grocery store, have late breakfasts, then go to town for dinner every night, but in all honesty, we couldn't be bothered to leave the resort. We were very well taken care of. If Murphy is still hanging out at the bar there, please say hi.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:33 AM

Journey's End is about four miles north of town. It is a nice looking place. We stopped there for a beer after biking up north last spring.

I've always said my splurge would be for Victoria House, I like the looks of it, it just looks welcoming. I also like that it's south of town a few miles, so access to town is much easier than north. Depends on how secluded you want to be.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you want to see the "real Belize" -- to the extent that is possible -- I would avoid the large resorts north of town. Best bet is probably to stay in San Pedro -- there are some backpacker places.

For your splurge head a mile or so south of town at one of the hotels on the beach. You are still within walking distance of SP, or you can hire a golf cart, or take a taxi. We stayed at Caribbean Villas.