Reload this Page >

what kind of people enter this travel forum ..I'm curious

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 11:45 AM
Ann

Hi <BR> <BR>Maybe this sounds like a stupid question ... but ... When I enter this forum I always want to know what kind of people enter this travelforum. when I read most of the posts and replies ... it looks like most of the persons who enter here are people with(lots) (of ) money ( not the kind of backpacker type ) who are interested in popular holiday destinations. Maybe I'm wrong ... so please can any-body tell me a bit more about the people who enter this forum

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Linda

Ann, <BR> <BR>I can't speak for anyone else, but we certainly don't have lots of money. We make conscious decisions that travel (once a year) is more important than those badly needed house renovations etc. <BR> <BR>Even without maxi $$$, we want a certain level of comfort and service when we go on vacation. At 50+, our backpacking days are over. Been there, done that, it was fun but now I want to relax totally on vacation. <BR> <BR>I think that, whatever the income level, most folks here are intelligent people who love to share their own experiences and vicariously share those of others.

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 12:08 PM
Susan

Actually, Ann, I think all kinds of people contribute and check into Fodor's forum. I read the Canada and Europe forums as well as the Latin American one. <BR> <BR>Having said that, I don't think there are as many backpackers reading this forum. They seem to be more common in the Lonely Planet forum. I no longer backpack, but we usually look for inexpensive accommodation. There was a thread recently in the European forum about people's financial situations. Obviously for most of us, travel is a strong interest. Many of the people who responded seem to be willing to forego other luxuries so that they can travel. <BR> <BR>I rarely if ever take package holidays. I'm more likely to book my airfare and find the hotels myself. I may or may not book hotels in advance - depends on where we're going and how sure I can be of finding a bed for the night! I did the 'sleeping on the beach', etc. years ago and now I like to have a bed - maybe that's just a sign of my getting older. <BR> <BR>I agree that many people in the Latin American forum are interested in the standard resorts. I really wish there were more postings on the out of the way spots! I love it when someone posts a note about a place they've discovered. It always gives me lots of ideas. <BR> <BR>Happy travels. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 01:09 PM
dan woodlief

Not a backpacker per se, but I avoid expensive hotels when I can, do use Lonely Planet a lot for recommendations on accomodations and food, like to avoid resorts as much as possible, and certainly don't have a lot of money. If I did, I would likely still avoid the big resorts but do it more often.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 01:12 AM
Ann

Hi <BR> <BR>I'm the original poster of this question .... thank you very much for anwering . I'll explain why I asked this question ... I'm curious but there is also another reason . I'm studying turism and next year I have to make an assignement . I'm free to chose the subject . ...well I was thinking of making an assignement about travel forums- internet and turism . so that's why I also wanted to know a bit more about people entering this forum . <BR>Thanks

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 04:47 PM
Linda

I just discovered these forums 3-4 weeks ago and boy, am I hooked! 45ish wife on budget researching 25th anniversary trip for next year. Hearing from and asking questions of people who have actually "been there" and "done that" is invaluable to me. Live in Hicksville KS so don't even have terribly knowledgable TA's around. No way I could come even close to "the perfect trip" for us without these forums. Hope this helps.....

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 07:44 AM
duhhh

Your right..... That has to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen. To generalize a open forum is completely simple. Keep up the good work

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Laurel

to duhhh....Stop the flaming.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:41 PM
mexicodan

Anyone who wants to! Oh the joy of the internet and travel web sites. I've stayed in hotels in Guatemala for $1 a night, $10 a night in Costa Rica and hotels in Puerto Vallarta for $200 a night. Done it all. Now I just head to my home in Mexico twice a year and enjoy the comforts of home away from home. www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:12 AM
Carole

To Susan & Ann, <BR>Enjoyed your intelligent post to the person asking about what kind of person contributes to the Fodors board. I too, think they are mostly people that are true travelers, and not wanting to book package deals. Since you are interested in a different vacation you may be interested in visiting my web sites for Casa Tropical. I also list some recommended reading for our area. <BR> <BR>Best regards, <BR>Carole <BR>Casa Tropical <BR>http://CasaTropical.com <BR>http://sites.netscape.net/tankah/casatropical (recommending reading) <BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 09:22 AM
calpurnia

Hello Ann, <BR> <BR>You've chosen a very good topic for your report. The internet is a new and evolving field. I like to travel once a year. I have mostly visited Europe and the middle east but this year I wanted to go to Cuba but the legalities have stopped me so I have picked PV and I am glad I did. It sounds wonderful. I am 43, my husband is 37 and we have a 15 yr old daughter and a one yr old daughter. I am from the States and my husband is from Finland.