Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What is your favorate S-American country and sites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Lucretia

I need ideas on where to go for my first trip to South America. I am going without a tour group! Looking for cultural and natural tourism...give me your thoughts and experiences!

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 12:33 AM
DK

Dear Lucretia,<BR> I've only been to Brazil and it is as large a country as the continental U.S. Brazil has a plethora of cultural diversity encorporating mainly Afro, Portuguese and the indiginous indian. Also later immigrants consisted of Germans, Japanese, Italian, Middle Eastern and Eastern European. <BR> You can see the colonial Portuguese architecture in every city but especially in U.N. protected historical towns, of which there are many. You can experience the indiginous indian culture along the Amazon River and African culture everywhere but the heart is in Salvador, Bahia. You have European Alpen towns in the south and the largest Japanese population outside of Japan, in their Japantown called Liberdade, in Sao Paolo.<BR> For communing with nature, you have the Amazon region, the Pantanal, Iguacu Falls, and thousands of other less known locales. Of course seeing all of these sights take weeks but you may look into the Brazil Airpasses.<BR> If you have only a week then you can stay in Rio de Janeiro and get all of the culture, arts, natural beauty as well as having a unique urban experience.<BR> Brazilians tend to have a less traditional and rigid attitude towards single women travelling than in other South American societies.<BR>Hope this was a start off point.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 02:39 AM
Ana

Angel falls in Venezuela. The flat top mountains are awesome. Then you have the excursions on the river to the indian communities. Nature walks in the rain forest. IN all a wonderful experience. <BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Dick

I've been to most of the countries in S.A. I've been to Brasil probably 15 times or more so I guess that that tells you my favorite. The N.E. of Brasil is very nice with Bahia providing some of the culture you may be after and the natural beauty between Salvador and Recife is outstanding. The music (moonlit beach with palm trees and live brasilian music), food (seafood and brasilian BBQs - mmmmm), climate and most of all, the people provide an unforgetable experience. The South of Brasil, IMO, is more European like and a bit faster paced but has much to offer. I prefer to stay at least 4 - 5 nights per city so that it affords me the time to relax and get to know the people and area better.<BR><BR>That said, you may want to think about Peru. Peru, IMO, has remarkable culture and sites not to be missed. <BR><BR>My first visit to S.A. was on a visit S.A. airpass by AeroPeru so that I got a taste of a few countries. <BR><BR>Email if you'd like.<BR><BR>You'll have a great trip no matter where you decide!

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 02:40 PM
justin

Ecuador is a Beautiful contry to visit, so small but so many areas to visit. it's very cheap too, I was there three times, last in Sept. including Galapagos, (not cheap but worth it!)<BR>visit Otavalo, Quito, Cuenca, Ba&ntilde;os,<BR>it is safe to visit Ecuador.<BR>I was in Peru, also in Sept. one week in Cuzco, Machu Pichu, Titicaca Lake<BR>Just a Beauty. Lima is so stressful!<BR>but should be seen one or two days.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Archie

I agree with Justin. Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia are very interesting and cheap. Lots of variety..culture, ancient sites, eco-tourism (jungles, mountains, beaches and rivers), nice Spanish cities..<BR>I spent 3 months there (Jan to April) travelling alone by bus, boat,etc. Ecuador has everything..Peru has Machu Picchu, Nasca Lines, Lima, Lake Titicaca. Bolivia.is very cheap ...and cultural sites, jungle and mountain ranges..Always the natives in the Andes ..colourful, interesting... <BR>Brazil is much larger.huge in fact..and a little more costly..but a most friendly, open, fun loving people. Rio is a most beautiful city..

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 06:29 PM
rob

Brazil! - The people make the place but the scenery helps Bahia the land of happiness comprises of happy people. Accomodating - lively and humurous - it was rare to see an unhappy Brazilian whilst I lived there ( even )and I met 100's of people - I was there 1 year altogether. I mean you can go to france but....