Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What is the Sound and Light show at Chichen Itza like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to CI in December for a night prior to a week in Akumal and wondering if the Sound and Light show is interesting, informative and worth it or cheesy and not worth it? We have only been to one in Luxor where it was quite cheesy and show-like, with exaggerations of history for the sake of drama. We prefer more informational activities, but since we are going to be there anyway, I wondered what others have experienced. Thanks.
Sally in Seattle
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We found the S&L at Uxmal to be hokey, and so skipped the one at Chichen Itza. Some interesting lighting effects.
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. We don't like hokey! Would love info from people who have gone to the one in CI, though we are leaning towards NOT going. However, seeing the monuments lit up might be quite interesting without the sound part.
Sally in Seattle
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Stupid. A waste of time. We couldn't wait to get outta there.
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm, robertino, just what we were afraid of. Guess we'll just enjoy our hotel and get to bed early so we can get to the ruins early. Thanks for posting.
Sally in Seattle
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Hi Sally -

If you're looking for a hotel, I can highly recommend the Hacienda Chichen.

Rob
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Dear Rob, thanks for the rec for the Hacienda Chichen. What do you know/think of the Villas arqueologicas? We were thinking to save a little money since we'd be at the site most of the time, but since we won't be going to the S&L, then maybe we should change our minds! Comments welcome.
Sally in Seattle
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM
jw2

Villas Arqueologicas is a very quiet place just outside the "rear" entrance (which was no longer in use) to the ruins - it was a Club Med property without Club Med atmosphere - don't know if that ownership has changed - but essentially a quiet one of akind hotel. The rooms are adobe with what I can best describe as "niches" built into the walls which hold the beds, shelves, and tables. There is a very pretty garden, a library/reading room, and a courtyard restaurant. I have not been there in ten years, but from other posts I doubt it has significantly changed. It's so unique (architecture and ambience) that I would definitely recomend it. The only drawbacks are that the pool was freezing (actually felt good after a dusty morning in the ruins) and the restaurant had a very limited menu - however there are larger restaurants available at the other hotels, some right next door.

If it's significantly cheaper than other accomodations, I'd definitely stay there.

Although you won't terribly miss the light show, there is no other night-time activity in Chichen Itza, so why not take it in if you are nearby and won't have to starve if you spend the money for admission? Even watching five guys with flash lights run around a major Mayan site after dark has got to be more interesting than watching CNN or reading the book you brought along!

I think you said it all when you said "we are going to be there anyway." Since its over in about a half-hour or so, you won't be staying up so late as not to get a good night's rest before touring the site next morning, and unless you are just too too world weary and sophisticated, you will possibly enjoy it at least a little bit.

PS - all history and most art is exaggeration for the sake of drama, as determined by whoever won or at least survived, in case you haven't noticed.

It is what it is: a condensed and watered-down narration of sanitized Mayan history (it seems the human sacrifices were only reluctantly performed as necessary to promote poetry, astronomy, mathematics, and the sale of crack pipes shaped like penises) with a ho-hum sound track and some "better than you'd get in your own garden" lighting effects. It's still more accurate and less silly than "Apocalypto."

You will NOT be missing out on some other world class entertainment or gourmet cuisine if you take the time to see it.

Do douse yourselves liberally with insect spray: the government sprays Chichen pretty regularly but there are a lot of trees and bushes and it's "change of shift" for the blood sucking hoards.
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM

I stayed at the Hacienda Chichen last November and went back into the ruins for the sound and light show that night. It was just a mass of people. The lighting would be nice if everone did not light up their phones and cameras. It was a joke! And, of course, it is all in Spanish. I'd say it is a waste of time. The Hacienda was lovely though and we enjoyed the quick acces through the back entrance. We went into the ruins early and got pictures with NO people in them; went back for lunch and a swim in the afternoon and then returned to the ruins to finish our day after many of the day trippers had left. By the way, we enjoyed the Villas Archeologica for meals. Much less than the Hacienda and very good.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Or, consider staying in Valladolid, enjoying the colonial ambiance and excellent restaurants! http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinat...valladolid.htm
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your opinions, jw and Pegsimba, food for thought, certainly! And thanks for the recc of Vallolid, Yucatan Today. It sounds like we can "play it by ear" although the hoards of insects isn't appealing nor the masses of people.
Sally in Seattle with the funny mental picture of 5 guys with flashlights dancing around in my head