What gifts to take to Costa Rica?

Mar 1st, 2006, 09:05 PM
123go_

What gifts to take to Costa Rica?

Our family will be traveling to CR this year. Wondering what type of gifts to take for the homes we will visit. Two homes have small children ages 5-7, others are young adults and middle age. Any suggestions?

Mar 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM

I take local calanders showing how beautiful British Columbia really is. Think of things unique to your area - maple syrup in Quebec, cow bells in North Dakota(?). I once brought a jar of saskatoon jam down to some friends in Maunuel Antonio. How many people in Costa Rica(or at this forum) have tasted saskatoon berries? Bring a little bit of where you live to your hosts. But remember, snow will melt on the plane.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:10 PM

I agree that it is a great idea to take things unique to your "neck of the woods".

Also, one of our friends in Costa Rica is a young mother whose 2 little sons live with her parents in Nicaragua. Zeydi works in CR to support them and goes home when she gets a couple of days off (not often). She asked me to bring her sons favorite stuffed animals (Barney and the like) once because those kinds of things were expensive there. I checked it out at one of the malls in CR and it was true--they are a lot less in the states. The little ones might like something like that?
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM

We always bring gifts to our friends. I used to always bring the little girls Barbie princess dresses but they are getting older now (5) so they love the Hello Kitty makeup kits, lip gloss. There is a little girl in Nicaragua running around looking like a princess right now too. Hope Philip gets a picture for me.

Baseball caps, t shirts for men and boys with sports logos seem to go over well. If you have a pro team near you all the better.

I have a special friend (female) who I always bring a special package from Bath and Body works. Usually it is a nice purse or other similar thing full of lotions and potions and a candle or two. I am from Ohio and it is made here so it works out great. I brought bottles of lotions for the females in my host families when I was doing homestays and they all seemed to enjoy it too. Don't bring actual bath items such as bubble bath as most homes only have showers.

Our guide friend has a 12 year old son who loves nature as much as his dad so we bought him his own Skutch bird book one time and another time a headlamp. These are special friends so we splurged but if you know of any interests you could pick something up.

Some fun school supplies like pens and pads of paper with pictures for the younger ones would be good.

We brought barbie dolls and stuffed animals to friends kids (girls obviously)in Argentina. The stuffed teddies had the name of our town on their shirt.

We brought small pocket knives this year for two fathers of our friends.

If you have an airport near you, check out the gift shop for little things with the name of your area on them. Keychains, etc.