Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What EXACTLY do I need to get into Mexico??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 11:54 PM
Rebecca

I'm going to PV next week and am wondering what I need for id to get into Mexico? I have dual citizenship for Canada and the US (I was born in Vancouver BC and have lived here for 10 yrs). I have been told my birth certificate and valid id. Is this all? Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:24 AM
scott in cowtown

Yep- that'll do. Your birth certificate OR a passport.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:52 AM
aphra

Not quite. You will need some photo ID to get back in. This is cut and pasted direct from the State Department Web site:<BR><BR>The Government of Mexico requires that all U.S. citizens present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into Mexico. A U.S. passport is recommended, but other U.S. citizenship documents such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship<BR>are acceptable. U.S. citizens boarding flights to Mexico should be prepared to present one of these documents as proof of U.S. citizenship, along with photo identification. Driver's permits, voter registration cards, affidavits and similar documents are not sufficient to prove citizenship for readmission into the United States.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Rebecca

Thanks for the answers. I have a Canadian birth certificate. What now??

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 06:17 PM
dmotl

for a picture ID we use our drivers license. Also, the birth certificate must be a certified copy which is the USA has a raised seal