What do you wish you would have taken?

Jan 11th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

What do you wish you would have taken?

Is there something you wish you would have taken on your trip to Costa Rica? Or something you found many uses for?

(we are leaving for our 10-day Arenal/Puerto Viejo trip in less than a month!)

Thanks!
-Dawn

Jan 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM

We always find uses for Ziploc bags, quart and gallon.

We've regretted the times we forgot binoculars, but then I am a birder (and my husband likes to help occasionally!).

We've never taken a raincoat and have never been sorry! Lucky, I guess. . .

I've been sorry more than once that I didn't have a waterproof camera with me.

More often than not, I take more clothes than I need. Getting better at that! We used to dress up occasionally while there, but no more! Hope this has helped--I'm sure everyone has their own list of "thank goodnesses" or "oh-no's"!
Jan 12th, 2007, 02:01 AM

Didn't miss anything last trip - to Mexico, Guatemala and Belize - never been to CR.

Maybe after all this time I've almost got it sussed!! Research the weather - and take only as many clothes as you will need - they can be washed on the way.

One thing I did take on the last trip that I have never taken before is an MP3 player - so small, so light, makes a difference to those long bus journeys.

Cheers.
Jan 12th, 2007, 05:14 AM

Here's a link to my packing list, #15:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...entid=0&from=1

You may have to copy and paste if the whole link isn't "live". The list has served me well and, as noted, easily fits in a carry-on conversion pack, no matter how long I'm traveling. Happy trails!
Jan 12th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Hopefulist, I came across your list when I was searching for a packing list and I have found it to be very helpful!

Thanks for reposting.
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:20 AM

OK, well I haven't been yet...less then 2 months before we leave...but I've been searching "packing lists" & particularly liked the suggestion for getting headlamps, just got a few through ebay, 25 LED waterproof headlamps for less then $8 each including shipping, fairly comfortable & very bright (last 100+ hours on AAA batteries)...figure they should be great for catching wildlife @ night & reading in bed.

hope you have a great trip!
Jan 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM

If you're planning on washing some clothes, don't forget to bring some fabric softener. Just a few drops makes a world of difference.
Jan 12th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Benadryl tablets! Something that has always been packed in my medicine stash - never used or needed it - UNTIL the one time I did not have it.

Icy Hot Patches - great for those tired achey muscles after all that hiking!

Jan 12th, 2007, 08:40 AM

The first years we always took cheap small binoculars. Now we have a great pair, Nikon Monarch 8x42 and we can find the birds now! Deffinately worth the $300 investmant if you care about animal viewing.
Jan 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Yeah, IMO tiny binoculars don't work well enough in low light (when/where you're usually trying to spot birds and other wildlife) to make them worth taking. I LOVE my mid-sized, waterproof Celestrons. If anyone is interested, there have been several recent threads with specific information if you search for binoculars. Happy trails...
Jan 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM

4th trip I will definitely be taking a headlamp, especially down in the Osa where it's pitch black at night.

A tip - grab a newspaper, any one will do, bigger the better, especially if you're going to damp places or it may rain. Stuff your tennis/hiking shoes with as much as you can and they will relatively dry by morning. Unfortunately whenever I've needed it other people had the same idea & used it all up.
Jan 12th, 2007, 10:38 AM

I keep a huge plastic bag (outdoor trash bin size) folded in the bottom of my day pack and duffel. Good for sitting on, can become raincoat, can be used as insulating layer under coat or for sleeping, ...

And yes, lots of baggies, several sizes.

Sylvia
Jan 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Less stuff No matter how light I pack, I often end up wishing I had packed even less because some of the stuff is just not needed..

Pura vida
raquel
Jan 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM
RHR

This is our 3rd trip, and we are bringing a little sun shade type tent to set up on beach.

Staying at BDC for second time, and after hiking to beach, it's nice to have some shelter to hang out in. Also going to PV and I'm sure it will come in handy there as well.

Portable clothes line is also good to have.
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I have missed not having clothes hangers when not provided by the hotel. When traveling I use them to quick dry tee shirts with the shirt hung on one and another used to keep the shirt opened for air flow.
I hang it on the ceiling fan and I have a clothes dryer! :.)
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Earth Traveler - that is a great idea! haha!

I really appreciate the information and experiences that you've all provided. I'll post my final packing list before we go. I wish it were tomorrow...but the next 3 weeks will fly by.
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:52 PM

small flashlight
two plastic molded clothes hangers
foam earplugs