What do you think of this Salta itinerary?

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think of this Salta itinerary?

If we fly from BA to Salta:
Salta 2 nights
Cafayate 1 night
Tilcara 1 night
Purmamarca 1 night
Cachi 1 night
fly back to BA from JuJuy or Salta?

Do you recommend all of the cities above?
Is it possible to pick one city and see the other cities from day trips or is it better to change cities and hotels each night?

Also, would it be impossible for us to see this area on our own without a guide? The four of us, with minimal Spanish, would like to rent a car and drive on our own if possible.

Here's our complete itinerary:
BA 5 nights
fly to Iguaza--Sheraton 2 nights
return to BA, leave immediately for Salta
Salta area (6 nights?)
fly to BA from JuJuy
Stay BA 1 night
return home

Total 14 nights
Should I add to the above? We are very flexible with our days--we usually like 14-18 days total.
Did I miss any "must sees?"

Thanks for your ideas.

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM

you can see Tilcara and Purmamarca from the same overnight place.

You could do some of these as day trips, but much, much more preferable since you have the time to spend the night. Cafayate is about three hours from Salta. Cachi is about four hours from Salta. The drive from Cachi to Cafayate is probably four hours (or more if you don't know how to take short cuts).

If you did both Cafayate and Cachi, you would want to do them in a loop, and not back and forth from Salta.

We had a guide, and thought it was the way to go! The roads to Tilcara and Purmarca are paved, and directly from Salta to Cafayate, also. The route to Cachi and then south to Cafayate is unpaved, narrow, windy and goes along cliffs with no barriers, with fog often setting in at the top. I don't remember any place to stop along the entire route to Cachi except for one really grungy hostel.

it's a wonderful place! We loved our time there. It's great that you have six nights.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Did you stay at any special hotels you could recommend? What time of the year did you visit Argentina? We were thinking of early May but everyone keeps talking about November.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:32 AM

we visited early November of last year. We were very happy with all our hotels: Manantial del Silencio (Purmamarca), Solar de la Plaza (Salta) and Estancia Colome (near Molinos, on dirt road between Cachi and Cafayate).

We did it this way:
day one: flew into Jujuy, drove to Purmamarca
day two: tour Tilcara, late afternoon to Salta
day three: all-day drive to Colome, with lunch and shopping in Cachi, a stop in Molinos
day four: spent at Colome
day five: to Cafayate and back up to Salta
day six: morning flight to BA

this itinerary worked out perfectly for us, given the limited time we had in the region. We spent two nights at Colome, and one at all the others.

there is a lot of driving, but most of it was spectacular. Usually, the last hour or so was a bit boring each day, but that was it. The ride to Cachi is very special, but it is not an easy drive! We were really glad we had a driver.

In addition to enjoying the wonderful setting and ambience of Colome for a full day, we really needed the time out of the car. We spent that day walking, swimming, lounging, riding horses, eating and drinking their wonderful wines.

If you enjoy walking / hiking, I think it is worth taking a day off the road, whether you stay in Colome or another place in Cachi to do so.

If you do book Colome, do try to get a room on the pool side of the inn.

If you go in May, it will be their fall. In November, it will be spring. For traveling to NW, just be sure you are not hitting the rainy season. not sure when that is, but otherwise the weather is always dry.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:34 AM

sorry, we spent two nights at Solar de la Plaza, but not consecutively. We stayed there our second and last nights of the trip.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Dear JudyADenver: Let`s see, you want to spend 7 nights? first, Purmamarca and Tilacara is veru close, only 22 kms, it is not worth to spend two night so close, better way to use your timeis to spend... one night in Salta one night in Cachi ( I would suggest ACA to stay), another night in Cafayate ( or two) and use the other day to visit Amaicha or Quilmes, I suggest Killa Hotel in Cafayate ( you can find great reviews about it)another night in SAlta again... In the northern circuit you can spend one night in Purmamarca ( my favorite place in the world)I suggest El Cardon, inexpensive, in town and very tiny, clean and nice hotel. The view from the upper rooms is the best you can find...
Now you have your itinerary, if you need further informations do not feel shy to get in contact and I will give you more tips about distance, resturants, attractions in each place....
Warm regards.
Flintstones