Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   what do i bring to celebratory dinner in Guatemala? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/what-do-i-bring-to-celebratory-dinner-in-guatemala-896846/)

fishee Jun 28th, 2011 11:10 PM

what do i bring to celebratory dinner in Guatemala?

My teacher invited me to her house for dinner w/ her mother and young daughter for Dia de San Pedro which appears to be an important day/week of festivities. What do I bring to dinner - a cake, or maybe a toy for her daughter? It will be a small group I think - my teacher, her 4 yo and su abuela. They bought new dresses for the day so I'm thinking they'll still be wearing them at dinner (?) - is it appropriate I wear a dress as well? (Its black which I hope isn't what you only wear to funerals in GUA)

suze Jun 29th, 2011 06:33 AM

fishee, Reading with interest the answer to your question. What a cool thing to get to be a part of!! I'd suggest maybe art supplies for the 4 year old, rather than a toy (like a large tablet or coloring book and crayons).

hopefulist Jun 29th, 2011 08:31 AM

Yes, very cool! I'd wear the dress but buy a bright scarf to go with it, though you'll never compete with the colors of their new clothes in that town! Art supplies are a great idea, nothing too big or they'll feel like they have to reciprocate. Personally, I'd bring a book for the daughter and maybe one for the mom, too.

Sounds like it's been rainy for this year's festival - last year the rain was horrendous. Let us know how it goes!

Jeff_Costa_Rica Jun 29th, 2011 10:27 AM

I Googled "Guatemala" and "etiquette." Several of the links said that flowers are always a nice touch if you're going to dinner at someone's house. All the sites warned that they should not be white flowers, which you would only see at a funeral.

fishee Jun 29th, 2011 10:41 AM

Thx so much for the replies. Flowers might be a nice idea as there's no way I could inadvertently mess with their idea of the dinner by bringing a cake if they already have one, etc. I'll go look for art supplies today - how would I say this - tienda por materials de artes? If I do see a delicious looking cake though, I may not be able to resist....
Today is gorgeous and hoping it will remain nice and sunny until tomorrow. I'm gonna go by the panderia too though and if I see a great looking cake, I might not be able to resist.....

fishee Jun 29th, 2011 01:06 PM

Found cpl coloring books with alphabet, box of colored pencils, and a hello kitty folder to hold it all. (Also bought a rather hideous shawl to cover plunging neckline of my dress and then it started POURING before I could get to flower vendors.) I'm hoping the things for the child are sufficient but I could stop at a bakery for turistas on way to the house for cupcakes (which sound rather out of place but its that or big cookies). Would that be overkill and a little awkward? BTW - 4 wks at the Cooperativa School in San Pedro has been absolutely great and I'm almost certain to return next year, thanks again!

suze Jun 29th, 2011 01:30 PM

I would not take food. I think the gifts for the child are perfect and plenty. Yes I think anymore could possibly be awkward or too much.

ginger50 Jun 29th, 2011 01:40 PM

Glad you're having fun at the Cooperativa. It's a great learning environment, isn't it? Out of curiosity, are you doing a home stay? If so, how's it going?

Jeff_Costa_Rica Jun 29th, 2011 06:52 PM

I think what you've got sounds just right. I agree: Don't take food unless you've specifically been asked to contrubute something to the meal. Have a good time. :)

fishee Jun 29th, 2011 09:24 PM

Dinner was utterly charming and wonderful and for future reference, I still wish I coulda reached flower vendors for very simple bouquet (altho no idea what they woulda fashioned a vase from so maybe I'm off). Ginger - I'm in an apt, no homestay and abs love it. Thx everyone for the great advice, this forum never fails to deliver.....

hopefulist Jun 29th, 2011 10:58 PM

In a week and a half I'll be in San Pedro!!! :D